Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Boots fit

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  sb60 
#1 ·
Complete newbie here...

Only been riding 10 times, but 3 times with each 3.5 hours private lessons in the morning so i'm getting good fast! Amazing how in one hour with a private teacher, I progress more than an entire day riding alone.

My setup is: Carbon Credit 159cm board, bindings are Burton Cartel. Boots are an unknown kind, they where a gift from my cousin.

Here's my question : How tight are your feets in your boots?

This question came to my mind when I noticed the following fact :
They are super comfortable, but when i'm putting a lot of pressure on my toe edge, my heels are lifted up and are not in contact anymore with the sole in my boots. I would say that the distance between my heel and the sole would be 1cm... Is that normal?

They are regular laced and sometimes I have a hard time to get them super tight.

They are 10's, all of my shoes are 10's...

See less See more
#2 ·
Heel lift is a bad thing. From what I've seen, people go at least half a size down from their regular shoe size when getting snowboard boots. Different manufacturers seem to have wildly different sizing schemes. I can't recommend specific boots, because I'm hardly experienced and I'm a girl on top of that (know nothing about guys' boots ^^).

So, like I said, I'm a newbie myself (2nd season now, but will consider myself that for many years to come). Welcome to the addiction! :D

#3 ·
I would say your boots are too big.

I wear a 9 1/2 shoe, I measure a 9, and wear a size 8. Now, understand I've been riding longer than you, so I demand a tighter fit.

"Simple" Fit test:
First- Put on your boots and lace them up like you would to go riding. Then stand tall, feet flat on the ground and lock your knees.
Do your toes touch the front of the boot?
Your toes should push or curl in the front of the boot.
If not your boot might be to big.
Next- Keeping the boot flat on the ground, drive your knees forward over your toes.
Your toes should back off the front of the boot.

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Pretty much exactly this although I wouldn't say curling. You want pressure on the front of the boot when standing and the pressure should alleviate when your shins are flexed forward in to the riding position. Even with the right length you can get heel lift if the boot doesn't have the right style of heel pocket for your foot. And remember, boots only get bigger as you ride!

As for the OP comment on being lace boots and not getting tight, crank those puppies down! It can take some practice to get lace boots tight but it is easily done and needs to be to prevent heel lift. To help a trick I use when showing kids how to lace up there boots is this:

When lacing up, as you start connecting the hooks/eyelets/etc. between each one act like your tying your shoe, do the first part where you wrap one lace over and under the other one (The part right before the bunny ear part) grab that start of the knot and you can use it as a handle to really pull on and tighten. Create a handle and tighten in between each hook/eyelet, the entire way up the boot. You should have plenty of lace to do so and you can tighten them to where you'll make your foot fall off if you want.

#6 ·
Definitely sounds like they are either too big, or too loose. You can try to tie them tighter and see if that eliminates the heel lift. you really don't want heel lift or you will be more prone to catching an heel edge when on your toe side, among other control/feel issues.

#8 ·
Heel lift is for me most anoying kind of discomfort on snowboarding and you probably have big boots. Sizing is not metter, becuase every manufacturer has got different shape. I can give you just one advice: try different shoes on the slope. Ask your friends, go to ski rent. Never buy boot without trying(at least 30min in shop). Even if in the shop if the shoes are o.k. their may not fit your snowboarding style on the slope. Just my experience. I have tried many boot in different sizes, different manufacturer, different stiff and end up with some basic model of nitro (excelent heel support). Why basic model? Money was not the question, they just fit my feet pretty well. So don't be embaressed to ride some cheap stuff as long as it fits you and you are comfortable with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.