Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Another splitboard thread

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Noreaster 
#1 ·
In the past couple of years I found myself venturing into backcountry more and more, mostly on borrowed setups. I'm thinking it's time I should get my own. So far I've been able to demo only a few splitboards, and only one of them women specific - B-pro split. Also an SL, Abacus and just today - another women's board, a Solution. I was expecting great things from the Jones, because I definitely have a thing for that brand and was surprisingly underwhelmed at how it handled powder.

Perhaps, out of all those I tried SL made the best impression. Still, at 154 it is a tad long. I'm a pretty small woman (5'4, 110lbs), and even though I demo larger, wider men's boards all the time and always have a select few in my quiver I wouldn't want to go over 152 with split because I like to jump, spin and have a better control of the board in the bc. I also ride switch maybe half of the time. I would have loved to get my hands on a Billy Goat but I think the smallest they come at is 159 if I'm not mistaken so that idea is moot. Anyway, suggestions from pros on possible candidacies would be appreciated.

I've been pretty happy with Voile hardware and skins, but I've never really tried anything else so open to suggestions there too.

#3 ·
Yeah... I was thinking about Raven. The thing is I demoed the regular version and found it a stiffer, clunkier, less playful clone of my Infinity, which by the way I love (Infinity, not the Raven). If I could find a Raven split to demo I would in a heartbeat, but I'm a little reluctant to drop so much on a board I didn't particularly cared for in a non-split version. I could be wrong though.

#7 ·
i do, i have it in a 158 and a hovercraft 156. its a good board. not as lively as my heritage solid but its a split so it weighs a lot more so i guess it shouldn't be.

i've been splitting for a long time, but i haven't rode very many different splits... put it this way - the sl has never held me back from doing anything i wanted to do with it yet, EXCEPT for maybe skinning in one or two spots.

#10 ·
It's not a bad board. I just thought it's suited better for groomers. I also rode non-split Bpro for half a season, maybe more and I love the board, but since I expect to hit bc mostly on pow days I wanted something that just flies in pow like a dream. Bpro is a solid all mountain board in my opinion. If I ever decide to make a permanent switch to bc riding that's the one I would probably get.

#11 · (Edited)
Fwiw...the bpro will ride fairly similar to bg (demo'd bpro and have bg split)...imho the bpro has more straight-forward control-ability due to being torsionally stiffer than the torsionally looser bg

Also fwiw...bc pow days are of a consideration...(really had to ask myself...am I really going to be out in the truly deep with probable higher avy risk...some but generally NO...on those really deep days it will be lift-served and lift-served slack.

However in my reasoning...there is also bc corn, spring, summer, baked and wind pack are perhaps more possible...thus I did not go for an only pow split...but more of an all round expanded season capicity of the bg (in theory Oct-Jul/Aug). So far I'm happy

Highly recommend Sparks tesla system....upgraded from the Burner/LT pin arrangement...have never used the volie...but tour with a friend that is his setup...looks/sounds pretty sloopy compared to Sparks.

#13 ·
Also fwiw...bc pow days are of a consideration...(really had to ask myself...am I really going to be out in the truly deep with probable higher avy risk...some but generally NO...on those really deep days it will be lift-served and lift-served slack.

However in my reasoning...there is also bc corn, spring, summer, baked and wind pack are perhaps more possible...thus I did not go for an only pow split...but more of an all round expanded season capicity of the bg (in theory Oct-Jul/Aug). So far I'm happy

Highly recommend Sparks tesla system....upgraded from the Burner/LT pin arrangement...have never used the volie...but tour with a friend that is his setup...looks/sounds pretty sloopy compared to Sparks.
I live on east coast and spend 2 maybe 2.5 winter months in CO, contingent on my work and family life of course, but usually this is how I try to play it. I also travel to PNW, and maybe Europe, but those are short trips if they happen at all. So if I do bc, I shoot for pow (avy conditions permitting). I'm just not near big mountains in spring-summer conditions, so pow split it is. I actually wanted to demo bg because of your review of it, but that's not happening anyway. But yes, I most probably would have gone for Bpro if I knew I'd be out there in all conditions.

I'll look into Sparks. Thanks for your help.

What exactly was the let down point?
I've the womens Solution 156 some days now, have only ridden it in some cm of fresh so far, thus interested in what I have to expect/look at/be prepared for when in deep. The shop guy set it up centered so I could still set it back more if that is necessary (in advance at home, since it's not so easy as with a solid binding :))
I rode it with a setback, wanted to have it centered but it was my friend's board and I didn't want to mess with hardware for a few hours of riding. I was in maybe good 10" of light dry pow. The problem I had with it was pretty much the same I did with Mothership. I would drive it into a turn, the nose would dive in, pause, and kind of struggle a little coming up. Not what I have with my mt. It could have been an ms split for the way it handles fluffy stuff (in all honesty it probably is). I came away wishing it would have been stiffer, or softer but rockered.

Really good board to skin up on though. I've only been on a few others but I think this one handles terrain the best.

#12 ·
and just today - another women's board, a Solution. I was expecting great things from the Jones, because I definitely have a thing for that brand and was surprisingly underwhelmed at how it handled powder.

What exactly was the let down point?
I've the womens Solution 156 some days now, have only ridden it in some cm of fresh so far, thus interested in what I have to expect/look at/be prepared for when in deep. The shop guy set it up centered so I could still set it back more if that is necessary (in advance at home, since it's not so easy as with a solid binding :))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.