Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - First board - skill level?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
snoopy7548

Default First board - skill level?

I'm looking to buy my first board in the next few days but I'm facing a dilemma. I'm a beginner (had 1 lesson and absolutely loved it) but I managed to pick it up fairly quickly; by the end of the 2 hours I was out there I was confident going fast and able to (somewhat sloppily) pull off s-turns... my toe turns just need a little work. I fell countless times but my confidence and motivation never dropped. I'll take a few trips down the blue runs the next time I go, which should be soon.

My goal as a snowboarder is to become an aggressive all-mountain rider with great carving abilities. I also want to work towards riding switch. I have very little to no interest in park.

I live on the east coast so I'll be riding mainly groomers and hard-pack. I'm 5'10", a little over 150lbs so I'm looking to get a 158cm board. I've got size 11 boots (DC Scout) and Rome 390 bindings.

I've been looking at camber/camber-dominant boards but there seems to be so few of them. I'm comfortable spending up to about $400, since I'd like to buy a board I can grow into. These are some of the boards I've been considering:

Lib Tech Hot Knife (possibly too advanced for me?)
Gnu Metal Guru (hybrid rocker... not too sure about this one)
Rome Reverb (true camber but expensive, no tech)
Capita NAS (too stiff?)

I've been reading reviews on TheGoodRide and it sounds like the Lib Tech board might be too much for me to handle. Can anyone with experience with it share their thoughts on using it as a beginner board? The 2013 model is on sale for $364 which is a good price IMO.

I'd also welcome any other board suggestions; I haven't necessarily narrowed it down to those specific four, so I'm open to just about anything. Some of the items on my checklist: true twin, camber, medium flex, sintered base, under $400 is nice, and edge tech would be a plus. Thanks!

Last edited by snoopy7548; 01-30-2014 at 12:05 PM.
snoopy7548 is offline   Reply With Quote