Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - stance advice for surf-inspired free riding
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
FleaFlicker

Default stance advice for surf-inspired free riding

I'm setting up my stance on a new board (Ride Highlife UL 158cm) and looking for recommendations for the angle of my stance.

I've always used a duck stance, but this is more of an all-mountain directional board shape so I'm thinking about setting it up with a more directional stance, however I'm worried that it will feel strange after about 20 years of riding a freestyle board with duck stance.

Also, when I stand with a directional angle (as apposed to a duck stance angle) I definitely feel like my back knee is not aligned properly. It feels a bit more natural at 90 degrees, and starts to feel just right when I go back to a slight duck stance.

First, I'll try a more neutral stance, then kind of tweak it from there. But I'm hoping to get some recommendations from anyone who knows about transitioning from freestyle boards to free-ride (all mountain) style boards, and the stances that work the best over that transition period.

quick note about my preferred snowboarding "style":
I prefer free riding, and in my mind I like to imagine surfing while I'm snowboarding. Not chill surfing though, more of a shortboard-style aggressive surfing with lots of carves, tight turns in the pocket, and layback slashes when I see anything that looks like a front-side wave. I don't do a lot of airs but when I do, the most I'd pull would be a grab. No spinning or switch stance for me. I'd never go near a rail slide and rarely go into a half pipe, however I will blaze a bowl from time to time.

I do like to go relatively fast, but stay in tight control. I don't really straight-line anything, usually I prefer very quick transitions from edge as it feels like I have more grip and control that way. While I'm doing that, I like to get a higher stance that feels a bit more like the standard surfing stance, and if you can picture a surfer, perhaps Jerry Lopez "pumping down the line" that's how I like to go edge-to-edge. Also, I'm on the east coast so we have to be careful with the ice out here, perhaps that's why I like to ride edge-to-edge so often.

FleaFlicker is offline   Reply With Quote