Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

How's Sunshine and Lake Louise looking?

5K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  Banjo 
#1 ·
As above, Off out there next week and would be great if I could get a rough idea what the conditions are like at the moment?

#20 ·
^^^ Hopefully you get the snow! As long as it's near 0 Fernie softens up nice, I'm sure you'll have fun! We tend to stay on the old side (Bear chair) most of the time, with a trip up whitepass quad/polar peak once or twice a day.

I'm booking Kicking Horse right now, they're supposed to get somewhere around 50 cm before the weekend! :yahoo:

#24 ·
New avatar?!?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :eusa_clap:

edit: Yeah the other thing is with a Cedar lap, you usually have to ride out via the T-bar, then a fun run to the Triple. But from the triple you can cut hard back into Lizard bowl and ride the trees just to skiers/boarders right of the bear chair.

#25 · (Edited)
I like cedar bowl because it's usually pretty empty and has good snow, especially at the top, and some fun tree runs at the bottom. You can hike from the boomerang to the top of the bear chair if you want to get back into cedar quicker. Poutanen, have you rode the new chair that takes you to the peak? It wasn't there last time I was out there and looks like there might be some good terrain.

#26 ·
Sorry, might have given the wrong impression. I am familiar with the hill (Fernie) as I am out there every weekend. Just honestly wondering why the preference to Bear laps. Also, not knocking it, just curious.

After a few 40+ day seasons in Fernie, it seems I spend less and less time on the Bear chair now.

#31 ·
Hey guys! Only managed to get 5 minutes on the laptop then it's off to the bar!

SSV today was pretty awesome we had a small dump through out the day but it eased off about 2pm, got a good 3-4 inches on the runs, The Bowl on 54 off Standish must be about 2-3ft in places, came up to my knees!

Goatseye is looking bare, The wind has taken a lot of the fresh snow away, Upper canyon run wasn't too good, it was basically Roller coaster...

Hope LL tomorrow will be the same! If anyone sees me say hi!

#33 ·
Yeah you need to stay quite high on it, the depth of snow varies it's around 2 ft but gets deeper in some patches...

Louise today though, was amazing deep fresh snow everywhere! Not many people there either. Need to be careful on the TCH, we had a little run in with the local County Mountie. They love hiding in the central turning things... Only seen them there on weekends!

#34 ·
I ski daily at sunshine and the last month or so I've seen cops pulling people over just about every single day, I don't even bother speeding anymore just set the cruise control and crank the tunes.

Sunshine was great today, snowed hard all day, there were definitely some stashes to be found. First time I've had to set my bindings back in weeks... that's sad isn't it

#36 ·
flew from ontario into edmonton on Feb 1st, went to banff/lake louise on 3rd-6th it hasnt snowed once! rode at lake louise once, ice patches here and there, wasnt satisfied at all. one of the days it was -38C sunshine village couldnt get their gondola up and running, ruined the day, chilled in hot springs. Left edmonton on 10th back to ontario, and it finally snowed the night of the 10th.

overall wasnt too impressed. maybe next year will be lucky enough to get decent snowfall

#39 ·
This weekend is looking good! might be a bit busy it's been snowing a good 36 hours now and if it keeps this up conditions will be great for the weekend.

as above bad timing vsavka but you never know what the weathers going to be like when you book a holiday... :/

#43 ·
Ill take it, my bro is coming in a month....how much you want for it?

Back on topic......was at SSV on Friday, it was pretty good. Spent some time in WW everything was awesome...but the new snow meant a coreshot on a hidden shark fin though....:mad:

1st is some good pow turns near the bottom of South Side Chutes
2nd is airing out into some untouched steeps in Wild West

Attachments

#44 ·
Nice pics...

SO..... umm 33cm last night at Sunshine? Super gutted I couldn't take today off but managed to take tomorrow off so will be up there early. Looks like it's snowing all day today too so tomorrow should be all time.

I'm selfishly hoping they can't open the dive/WW today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.