Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Sochi Olympics

92K views 756 replies 114 participants last post by  Liliana 
#1 · (Edited)
I honestly thought that Superpipe and Slopestyle were the only events still in the Olympics, turns out BoarderX, Parallel Slalom, and Giant Slalom are still in there..

.i must live in a virtual cave bc i have not heard squat about the other 3, there is even a picture out of the US team and it's just Slope and Pipe riders.

or maybe i don't know who some of these peeps are

there is nothing about the other disciplines, nothing about them on the NBC schedule, i guess they are not even televised? no one gives a fuk? do we even have riders for the 'other' sb event

(also, if anyone knows where to stream live covertly, i no longer have cable and NBC won't let you watch on the computer unless you have a cable account somewhere)

also...are you psyched? i am

See less See more
#508 ·
I agree with Terje also, but I also see why people do it. I mean when you look at all the athletes who do it for free, on their own time, or have to take out loans to make this possible -how can you not want to do it too. I had a substitute teacher/assistant gym teacher (basically he did whatever the school needed him for) who was a bronze medal winner in the 19?? Olympics, and the man had so much respect for the other athletes and the games, it would be hard for me to not want to be apart of it if, I had the opportunity.

I also think most events judging are fucked up. In my ideal contest I would have the riders judge themselves:

• You have a jam session
  • You tell every rider to pick the best 1st, 2nd, & 3rd riders (you can't pick yourself)
  • 1st=5pts, 2nd=3pts, 3rd=1pt (or something)
  • Most points is the winner (and have some tie breaker mini-jam session)

Granted there is a chance people will pick their buddies, but overall I think they would respect each other's skill.
I personally do not like or respect any competitive sport where the results are based on subjective judging. I watch these competitions, however, because I like to watch snowboarding and skiing and the like.

#4 ·
I agree with Terje also, but I also see why people do it. I mean when you look at all the athletes who do it for free, on their own time, or have to take out loans to make this possible -how can you not want to do it too. I had a substitute teacher/assistant gym teacher (basically he did whatever the school needed him for) who was a bronze medal winner in the 19?? Olympics, and the man had so much respect for the other athletes and the games, it would be hard for me to not want to be apart of it if, I had the opportunity.

I also think most events judging are fucked up. In my ideal contest I would have the riders judge themselves:

• You have a jam session
  • You tell every rider to pick the best 1st, 2nd, & 3rd riders (you can't pick yourself)
  • 1st=5pts, 2nd=3pts, 3rd=1pt (or something)
  • Most points is the winner (and have some tie breaker mini-jam session)

Granted there is a chance people will pick their buddies, but overall I think they would respect each other's skill.

#5 ·
No way the riders would judge themselves in a high-calibre, high-stakes contest. For one, their focus should be on their riding, not in what others are doing. Second, it would be so biased nobody would value the results.

The "idea" of the olympics is not bad. The problem is the bullshit politics and commercial arrangements associated with them.

Private leagues are also flawed, but they're private. The olympics is trying to sell itself as a world contest for the benefit of the sport/athletes, when the truth is it's just another bs commercial enterprise.

I dont follow the olympics, but i definitely respect and understand why the athletes do it.

#8 ·
yeah, it's gonna hurt but McMorris said he'll be competing. Hopefully he'll be fine, i remember Torstein Horgmo competed in the Dew Tour with injured ribs or something as well and threw down a good slopestyle run.

Also i know there's been threads (pun intended) about this, but that picture... the US Olympic snowboard team, brought to you by Burton and Goodwill.

#9 · (Edited)
yeh i heard mcMorris was still in, but that's going to have to be a factor both mental and physical...maybe he's one of the freaks that can feed off it and do even better because of it, to be seen

i like the idea of a strait air/tweak jump...but can you force it like that?

i'd like to see someone, maybe one who knows they can't really medal, do a 'protest' run and just try to go 20+ft on every hit and show their style...could be a watershed moment in that worldwide spotlight

#11 ·

Yea I just went back to find the clip, Horgmo had three weeks to recover (he talks about it around 2.30ish) and still felt it pretty badly (see the portion where he buckles over in pain after the run, about 1.00ish).

Mcmorris is gonna need some serious advil to throw it down methinks.

#12 ·
Yea I just went back to find the clip, Horgmo had three weeks to recover (he talks about it around 2.30ish) and still felt it pretty badly (see the portion where he buckles over in pain after the run, about 1.00ish).

Mcmorris is gonna need some serious advil to throw it down methinks.
Mcmorris isn't even the front runner anymore, and Torstein is maybe a top 5 contender. This guy is gonna be there:

...and that double rodeo on his second hit is reportedly now a triple rodeo.

If the jumps are big enough and he has the triple rodeo on lock, that makes three triples in a row and Parrot is easily the favorite to be the first Olympic slopestyle gold medalist.

#13 ·
Slopestyle is a lot more variable then pipe. Anybody in the top ten has a chance to medal or even win. If I had to call a front runner it would be Parrot but Horgmo, McMorris or even White have a pretty much even chance of winning.

#18 ·
I honestly thought that Superpipe and Slopestyle were the only events still in the Olympics, turns out BoarderX, Parallel Slalom, and Giant Slalom are still in there..
Hell ya, SBX, PGS and PSL are still in there. Russia is strong in the last two events so they have a vested interest in maintaining them.

That photo you posted is from the Mammoth qualifying events for slopestyle and pipe which is why you don't see SBX or parallel athletes there.

One interesting tidbit for our American friends - one of the top parallel riders is Vic Wild, umm from Russia.

He's actually born and raised in the US of A but he married a Russian and took Russian citizenship just last year. He competed for the US or at least tried to but USASA dropped funding for alpine events and basically left all the riders on their own. Vic was competitive for the USA team but now, with solid funding and gear, he is one of the best.

Justin Reiter also made it as USA's sole parallel racer. How he did it with zero support is beyond me. Sheer will and talent I guess.

#39 · (Edited)
Problem I have with the slopestyle and pipe events is how they're judged. If I wanted to see massive amounts of spinning I'd watch figure skating or freestyle ski jumping. BORING!!! I want to see big boned out grabs, methods, big style 360's with a nice grab thrown in. Not "how many times can I spin around and still land this triple sow cow?"

:(

Hell ya, SBX, PGS and PSL are still in there. Russia is strong in the last two events so they have a vested interest in maintaining them.
Welcome to the forum! :welcome: I'm the one who tried to organize a group buy for some Kessler rides last year...

Curling? What, their hair?!

"Curling irons at the ready... get set... GO!" :laugh:
Have you watched womens curling? Not to bring up my dark dirty past, but hot women in yoga pants operating a broom and the ice and shouting "HURRY!!!! HARD!!!!! YEAH!!!!!"

I watch it. :D

#21 ·
no doubt, this one too

SW may have made a smart decision to skip xgame, healing up from that slamola...shrewd decision maybe

seb toots slammed in Big Air too, also riding thru the pain...i think it's a tossup, so many factors, the pressure must be insane

the olympics have become overcommercialized, overcontrolling, no doubt. I can't help but hold on to what it used to be when i was a kid though. Everyone watched, it really brought the whole country, and the world together, the whole fam would gather every night for two weeks it was like a party in our house, like gathering around the fire at christmas. so yes, whores and pimps to an extent (same as all athletes today, look at the fucking superbowl!)...so fuckit, i'll be gathered around with my kids watching the whores and pimps, if it gets us in the same room, spending some time and getting stoked, i'll take it

#24 · (Edited)
Had a fractured rib once from coughing - yes, that's possible. Awsome thing...no chance to avoid the trigger; just cos the rib was done didn't stop the bronchitis :blink:

the olympics have become overcommercialized, overcontrolling, no doubt. I can't help but hold on to what it used to be when i was a kid though. Everyone watched, it really brought the whole country, and the world together, the whole fam would gather every night for two weeks it was like a party in our house, like gathering around the fire at christmas. so yes, whores and pimps to an extent (same as all athletes today, look at the fucking superbowl!)...so fuckit, i'll be gathered around with my kids watching the whores and pimps, if it gets us in the same room, spending some time and getting stoked, i'll take it
+1
The games have grown to a perverted disneyland×business. Nontheless I'll watch every evening, even funny sports I'd else never follow - like curling.
Good occasion to be a bit patriotic :)

#22 ·
Yeah well I must be super weak because my bruised rib a couple of years ago needed weeks to get better. I have no idea how McMorris is going to be able to compete so soon after a fractured rib. I am sure lots of people around here have had rib injuries, but I couldn't even just go straight on a board a week later.

#26 ·
No, you aren't super weak youre just human.

I have broken ribs before. It fucking SUCKS! No relief. Everything hurts. Laughing is agony and if you sneeze it's like being at the doorstep of hell.
AMEN TO THAT! Ribs are by far the worst injury to compete through. I cracked 2 ribs playing football my senior year of high school... finished that game and didnt miss a game after that either. When youre laying down and relaxing is when it hurts the worst... Once, you get the adrenaline pumping you're good to go. that and a lot of advil is how i did it... I have a feeling once Mark throws that first run of the day he'll be good to go. I found a compression wrap around the area also helped dull the pain during games as well.

#28 ·
Torstein got carted off the slopestyle course in Sochi by medics and went to hospital.

Broke his collarbone and he's out of the games according to reports. That's a big shame.

"I saw that he fell over the rail and trashed pretty hard," said teammate Staale Sandbech. "He tried a really hard trick (switch hardway backside 270), probably the hardest trick you'll see all day. He was transferring from one jump to another rail."

#30 ·
Not confirmed at all, and Torstein is crazy enough to compete with a broken collar biome anyway...!!!

Will be speaking to a friend who is flying out tomorrow for the SBX in the Norwegian team, he normally speaks to him, will try and find out in the meantime what the chances are if i can...!!!

It won't be the same without him though...!!!

#31 · (Edited)
the slopestyle field is thinning it seems, or at least becoming a field of damaged players

just heard a report about curling, they were trying to say that when they broom real fast that it's the hardest cardio sport in the olympics! bulllll...it's like shuffleboard on meth. i do watch though, kinda fun if it's close...

and i used to keep my phone in my inner chest pocket til i landed on it one time on the hardpack...hurt for a year+, at night it was like someone was jamming a screwdriver between my ribs

#34 ·
Torstein is OUT...!!! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.