Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board Choice suggestions -out of scene for years
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
pescadero

Default Board Choice suggestions -out of scene for years

Iím riding a 15 year old board, and havenít paid any attention to board tech (because I havenít been riding) over the last 9 years since I moved back to Michigan from Oregon. Now Iím looking for a good all-mountain ride.

Iím 39 years old, 6í tall, weigh 160lbs, size 10.5 boot
Ride +15deg. rear, +20 deg front

Never go in park or pipe
Never intentionally ride switch

I like steeps, open bowls, high speed groomers, powder.

Current riding is likely to be: 40% Michigan scraped icy groomers, 40% groomed, 20% powder/deep crud/backcountry

Past rides - 1985 Burton Backhill, 1990 Kemper Freestyle 155, 1992 Burton Air 6.1 (161)
Current Ride - 1999 Burton Floater 167

I started riding in 1987 with a Burton Backhill - hiking the local sledding hills because no local resorts allowed snowboarding. I rode Michigan all through high school and college with the occasional trip to Colorado, mostly on a Burton Air 6.1. After moving to Oregon in 1998 I demoíed a mess of boards and decided on a Burton Floater 167.

I bought the Floater 167 because:

Good edge hold on high speed groomers, no chatter, no toe drag, solid feel, good float in powder/Cascade concrete. Most normal width boards at the time had toe drag and didnít float out well in powder, and most shorter boards I rode werenít stable and had lots of tip/tail chatter at high speeds.

Now Iím back in Michigan and the Floater is 15 years old, beat up, and not the most appropriate board for the majority of my riding.

Based on looking at a number of recommendations, Iím probably considering the following -

Burton:
Family Tree Juice Wagon (157)
Barracuda (157, 161)
Sherlock (157, 160)

K2:
Turbo Dream (159, 160W)

Ride:
Highlife UL (158, 161, 159W)

Iíd love to just demo a bunch of boards like I did last time, but that just isnít a realistic option here in Michigan. Any advice, thoughts, suggestions, or feeling are appreciated.
pescadero is offline   Reply With Quote