Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - seeking advice as parent of a child who wants to pursue snowboarding more serioulsy
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
leesamgentry

Default seeking advice as parent of a child who wants to pursue snowboarding more serioulsy

My son is 10 years old and has been riding since he was 7. Considering we live near the beach and not the mountains, he has advanced quite a bit for as little as he has had chances to practice. Including his 2 weeks last summer at Mt. Hood, he has probably had less than 30 days of instruction total, but he has definitely impressed me (although I am biased). He is riding most terrain with confidence and now working on tricks in the park such as small jumps, box slides, 360s, smooth transitions on the halfpipe, etc.

He has expressed an interest in concentrating on snowboarding more seriously including snow"boarding" school. Obviously this is a huge financial committment and a family sacrfice so I really want to make sure he is serious and knows what he is getting into. We are also looking into more summer camp opportunities in Oregon (again cha-ching, cha-ching). I would like to be able to send him to college also.

For those who are pursuing this sport seriously, I would be interested to know the path you took and how you got started. I am not at all delusional about my son's chances of ever competing at the top levels, but he seems to have some raw talent and he wants to try to be the best he can be. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
leesamgentry is offline   Reply With Quote