Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Buy or Keep Renting, That is the Question
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
WillyFister?052

Default Buy or Keep Renting, That is the Question

So here is my dilemma, other than waiting too late to get into snowboarding. I can't decide if I should get my own gear, or just keep renting. My local ski park closes early March depending on weather. Probable mid March seeing we have 6 more weeks of winter and a shit ton of snow. Paying for a couple more trips there and I could own a decent entry level set-up. Shitty thing about that is, I'll only enjoy it for less than a month. UNLESS, I find an opportunity to travel out west during spring break.
If I had my own gear, I could find some decent hills closer to my house and hone in the fundamental skills of boarding without the temptations of just blasting down the “big” hills at the park. I could perfect my balance, learn to switch ride (better), and develop better board control. That way if I did get out west I would be more prepared for the mountains out there. I think I would gain more confidence that way too.
On the other hand, renting seems more appropriate. I can develop all those skills at the ski park of course. But then, I would just see all this snow out my back door go to waste. All those hills that are free, and 5 minutes from my house, calling my name, just wasted away. See the convenience? Paying 70$ a pop at Perfect North and all I'll want to do is blast down the big hills and struggle to keep good posture. Sure I could stick to the bunny hills there, but why pay that much money for that when I have bunny hills in my own back yard?
The more I write this I feel more confident I feel in buying my own gear. What would you guys do? Did any of this make sense? I have a tendency to throw people off in my writings.

Last edited by WillyFister?052; 02-06-2014 at 11:15 AM.
WillyFister?052 is offline   Reply With Quote