Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Daughter broke arm !!!!

13K views 88 replies 41 participants last post by  Cr0_Reps_Smit 
#1 ·
Not quite sure how it happened I went down at the top of the hill. By the time I reached her it was to late.
She said she went off a big roller and got forward and cartwheeled or slammed on her arm some how or she may have tried to catch her fall I don't know.

Not happy with myself. Not sure if this was to much to soon. She has riden this feature many times. Kinda a large high roller that doesn't really shoot you up but if you carry to much speed not sure, again I only saw the after math.

See less See more
#4 ·
Awww man! :( so sorry to hear that!! I hope she's not doing too bad considering that's one hell of a gnarly looking break! Putting out positive vibes for a speedy recovery for her.

I Never had any kids myself, but I imagine you r going to beat on yourself over this, and would do so even if you were nowhere near the hill when this happened. Seems a pretty natural response for a father. I wouldnt expect anything I could say would change that!

Even so, try not to be too hard on yourself. She was doing something she enjoyed and you participated and supported her in that activity! Not a ton of parents that can/would do thay!!

Best wishes tothe both of you!

#28 ·
Ouch! Hope she heals up well, good thing with kids is the heal like champs. :D

We see 2-3 a day of those proximal humerus fx. Don't be hard on yourself. Just make sure she learns to keep her arms in. She will heel and ski/board again..
Yeah it seems like to many injuries are from appendages out trying to save you from a fall. Maybe beginner instructors should teach people to bring their arms in and sort of go into the fetal position when they fall?!?

#12 ·
Oh yeah!! A cast would be a heli cool place for die cuts n stickers, right? :bowdown: ;)

#24 ·
No doubt, shoulder tears are the worst. My son went into the boards wrong, meaning shoulder first, and missed a month of hockey. He was in pain for the rest of the season, which was a couple of months, and it wasn't torn. Take forever to heal, sometimes literally. When he broke his arm earlier, he was playing again pain free in 6 weeks.

Oh, and I'm with Argo. Not to sound negative, but that's very likely gonna get some hardware. I know it sounds shitty, but it's really pretty straightforward and will heal well. As you already know, can't do much with a cast...

And to echo the rest, it's just life. Kids break shit. Bruises and hardware make for cool stories. If you were closer, you would have caught her, right? Yea, didn't think so. Sucks today, you and she will be laughing about it soon.

#13 ·
Hey everyone thanks for the well wishes and positive thoughts and to not blame myself. That part is hard since I know it is her 1st real year riding.

Now we add concussion to the list as well. Which I was unaware of. She must have been really flying.
All throughout this year in our little time learning park I have always drilled starting small and progressing safely and hitting features correctly and safely. Today she did have good speed the 1st time we hit this feature and she got nice little (safe in my mind and controlled) air. Which is what this feature is meant for, it is in the progression (beginner) park.

Lack of experience in all aspects, I think she just misjudged her speed.
She is kinda down, I'm sure combination of pain and mixed emotions. I think and hope and from all I can tell, we had a great season riding together and I always rode where she wanted to. Worst part is it was her pushing to go to the park today. I said lets take it easy as it was snowing and visibility was good but not the best.

No cast yet, the break is so high they can't immobilize it with a cast so sling for now. Orthopedic at the end of the week to make sure its lining up properly otherwise surgery and pins. Crossing my fingers the later is not the case.

Again thanks everyone I will miss my riding partner !!!!!

#18 ·
Well, Hopefully it's a good lesson on how to bail!

Getting your kids active is awesome, just make sure she stays stoked with riding while she's sidelined. There's so many kids these days that just fuck off, She has a great story to tell and something to brag about in school now!

Now that the pain is gone she'll love the attention. Don't feel bad, you're awesome. I wish my sisters would introduce snow sliding to my nephews and nieces.

#20 ·
Yikes, that looks painful!! Positive vibes her way for a fast recovery.

Don't beat yourself up, this kind of stuff happens to kids - they all think they're invincible. :) This could have happened falling off a bike or scooter or on the playground at school - you can't be there all the time.

#21 ·
Man that sucks, but you need to remember that it is definitely not your fault, and that you can hit the same feature 1000 times at the same speed and you are gonna fall once or twice regardless, a moments lapse of concentration and or catching an edge and that is the result, a learning curve for sure, but for her and not you.

I am dreading the moment i have to call my g/f that i am in the hospital with her son, my stepson with a break of something... But i know it will happen one day that is for sure... But the fun he has and the enjoyment he gets is worth the resulting guaranteed hospital visits...

We discussed this only yesterday on the way back from the slopes after he went off his biggest jump yet, and she understands that if he tries this stuff it will happen...

Keep smiling, keep her interest up, and look forward to the next one... ;)

#25 ·
Just to clarify a point that has been mentioned a few times. No I wouldn't have tried to catch my daughter. We ride in very close proximity and I know the features well.

All I would have done was tell her to slow down or bail. So knows both those terms. Might it still have happened, of course. I still think I could/should have been a bit closer to monitor her. Again this was her 1st full season riding and our beginning of her/our park learning.

I also know this could have happened on a groomer, which she actually did do to the same arm a few weeks prior. She was getting a little over confident and on a speed run, wiped out bending her arm back straining her shoulder. Absolutely nothing I could do and I was comfortable with her going that fast. Her turns are progressing nice, she needs to use a more knee flexion in her turns but what newbie doesn't.

Thanks for all the well wishes she is in good spirits. She actually was watching a ton of park videos on her ipad from the couch and had the energy to show me the new Capita park board she wants for next season. So I think these are all good signs :yahoo:

#29 ·
My friend just destroyed his AC two days ago after his skier friend ran over the back of his board. 4 screws, 1 plate and 5 month recovery the doctor is thinking. Just nuts what can happen so easily. It also happened on a green run maybe 50 meters in front of the lodge.

Vibes for your daughter, she will be back better than even I am sure!

#35 ·
Depends on your insurance plan.
A surgery for something like this can run 30-60 k depending on who you goto.
Cheapest insurance plans are like 1-5 grand and have a 6k deductible and ou to of pocket max for 20 k
Meaning..... you have to pay 6k before insurance kicks in, and then most insurance only cover 70% up to 20k.
Fucking ridiculous how much it costs for this stuff.
Don't ever take your Canadian healthcare plan for granted because it's there when you need it.
I've seen so many broken bones and people don't want to goto the emergency room because it costs thousands!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.