Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Olympics: Women + snowboard tricks = Huh?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
aguy

Default Olympics: Women + snowboard tricks = Huh?

I'm an infrequent snowboarder and don't enjoy trick riding. I'm also old and never tried a jump as large as the Olympics slopestyle jumps.

It seems like the girls were outside of their comfort zone. Could someone who does these slopstyle jumps explain to me why all these girls are losing their air balance in the semifinals and flailing their arms like they just started doing these jumps a month ago? What am I missing? I get flailing the arms will help them land properly, preventing injury, but even with flailing they were wiping out. Do landing these jumps require a lot of strength? Do women just not have this strength? Do they all just "have to" wipe out, because they can't take the force or something?

I guess if strength is the issue, the jumps would be smaller, which would make sense they wouldn't have enough air time to complete a 1080 and 720 is a monster jump, so are the jumps smaller for women? Why is a 540 and barely landing it such an accomplishment (at the Olympic level)?

I also know nothing about what gets someone qualified for the Olympics. Do the winners from local (national) competitions get to go and there just isn't a lot of competition among the women and so the standards are lower?

If competition is an issue? Why wouldn't a woman just train with the men? Like if I was a woman, interested at an Olympic I guess that gets into why do the tricks at all? I see it as gratification of outperforming one's self. Like adding an extra turn in some direction. The female halfpipe competition was even more surprising.
aguy is offline   Reply With Quote