Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

leg cordination

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  keabler 
#1 ·
Any tips on building leg cordination? Seems like snowboarding has a lot to due with balance and cordination. I was thinking if I could just build better leg cordination, things might come a lot easier to me next year. Balance I think I got now, been useing balance board 3+ hrs. A day and I'm now doing squats on it. Plz share any tips, exercises or drills regaurdless if it has to do with this sport or any other

#2 ·
What you are looking for is core strength and control, not leg coordination. Squats are a good way to go, doing exercises with a bosu ball is also an excellent way to build core stabilization.

The leg/foot coordination comes with snowboarding skill, the only other way to work on that kind of skill is by doing.

#4 ·
My goal for the off season is to trim as much weight as possible (I was once a 80 pound loser) and be as physicly prepared as I cannext season. I figured if I can build stamina, leg strength and balance. Next season for me will be more about learning proper technique on the mountain and in the park.

#6 ·
Strength is only part of the equation. You need flexibility this is where Yoga comes into play. Laugh all you want I do a half hour of Yoga before riding and after. Keeps me super limber and improves my balance. In the summer I do about an hour of Yoga a day and skate between 2 and 10 miles on my longboard depending on where I'm at in the county.

Don't forget to concentrate on your abs they're super important muscles. People don't realize how hard you work these muscles.

When in doubt though HGH and Jaeger Bombs!

#8 ·
although snowboarding and skating are not the same. I find that when you skate,especialy when you longboard you get a nice workout with your ankles and knees which will help you during the season. but core excersise's are probably the best to do. weights not so much cause you dont wanna be a stiff musclehead on a snowboard. Try calistetics pushup's,situp's etc.

G
#12 ·
It depends on what kind of riding you do, park = skateboarding, mountain riding = lonboarding

but i thought of a good example to support the dont do power lifting for snowboarding argument: If you had two noobs just starting snowboarding and one was a professional body builder and one was an Olympic gymnast, who do you think would pick up the sport faster. Both individuals are in tip top shape, but the gymnast would pick up snowboarding faster, because it doesn't matter how much strength you have if you cant control it (this is where core muscles come in and having conditioned slow twitch muscles comes in).

G
#11 ·
I have to disagree about squats I mean I guess no matter what they will help but you have to look at what kind of exercise snowboarding is. Snowboarding uses mainly slow twitch muscles, because you do lots of repetitious movements that aren't particularly strenuous for extended periods, and lifts like squats (if you do say 4 sets of 8) will work fast twitch muscles (are explosive but burn out fast).

Another way to think of this situation is sprinting and running. Sprinting is short distance and all out (similar to squats) and usually sprinters have super ripped legs. On the other hand a long distance runner (Olympic runners can run a marathon with a pace around 5 miles an hour (faster than you can probably spring)) (all I'm trying to get at is that getting super buff off of squats wont make u jump higher just because your stronger), and long distance runners are usually extremely skinny and dont have super ripped legs they are just toned. This is due to the use of slow twitch muscles. (think of pros none of them are abnormally ripped)

So I suggest run about 4 miles a few times a week in the summer to condition your legs.

From experience I can tell you that this helps immensity. I quit running for a while this winter because I sprained my ankle, and I rode worse (I got tired faster and therefore rode less hard for a shorter period of time, and also had a harder time balancing (running is a pretty good core work out as well)), but once I got back into running every thing was peachy and I could ride as hard as I wanted for 8 hours no problem.

My workout schedule is:
day 1 - 1 hour of upper body lifting
day 2 - 4 miles (at 9.5 mph)
day 3 - 1 hour of core muscle training (all core muscle workouts are targeted for slow twitch muscles, which is why all core muscle exercises are 10+ reps)
day 4 - rest (usually i skip day 4)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.