Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Flexmeter Wrist Guards/Gloves
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
PaoloSmythe
Samyaksambuddhas

i have been asked by some fellow riders why i have never worn wrist guards.

altho i am very safety conscious; having worn a helmet from pretty much the beginning and (more for comfort than safety) impact shorts too

(I strongly recommend SKELETOOL shorts; based in SoCal, they will deliver, you can pay with PayPal and they are tip top fellas)

For me wristguards in themselves can be an inconvenience (as if soggy gloves weren't tuff enuff to pull on and off already) but also somewhat uncomfortable. when i give these reasons for not wearing them, i am asked if i would prefer a sprained / broken wrist instead?

well i have sprained my wrist before and it was not pleasant. however, i was still able to ride with a bad wrist which, was only splinted as if i were wearing wrist guards!

and so the difference is....
don't hurt your wrist and wear guards all the time.
do hurt your wrist and wear wrist guards some of the time.

in addition to this impeccable logic, having your wrists splinted basically imobilises them. this makes your fingers more vulnerable to breaking!

when comparing a sprained wrist to a broken finger (for i have enjoyed both ) i would take the wrist sprain anyday: less pain, and quicker to heal!

but that's just me!