Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Gondola Jumper at Whistler

4K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  tradnwaves4snow 
#1 ·
#10 ·
I mean, its a big deal since the resort has liability issues and all that i guess. but noone was hurt, i imagine theyll give up looking for the fella at the end... to bad they had video... if there was no video the girl would actually have a shot in court... alls she needed to say, is "I couldn't prevent him from doing the stunt i fear if i stopped him he would have pushed me out of the gondola"

#11 ·
Right at the beginning of the video you can see that they used a winch to crank the door open. That door is NOT going to open smoothly without a little work.

The girl faces not only possible criminal charges but also civil charges. If Whistler can't get the guy, they'll go after the girl for all the $. And BTW, the "I feared for my life" defense kind of loses a little credibility when you go on to refuse to identify the guy.

#17 ·
If you believe the movies, they'll be able to pull his cell phone number from the reflection of the phone in the reflection in his eyes on the reflection on the door, remotely activate the phone's GPS, read the position, and drop some Special Forces in to surround him. :giggle:

#13 · (Edited)
Apparently, they were investigating the video and she lied. She had no idea that the video was even online. They gave her a second chance the next day and she lied again. They charged her with obstruction.

Meanwhile, forcing the door open damaged the automatic locking mechanism to the tune of $10K or so.

They've got the guy's Ontario drivers license but not his local BC address.

#18 ·
Girl wasn't very smart, especially since it sounds like she might be a Whistler local.

Beyond the criminal charges, it's got to suck being lifetime banned from your home mountain (assuming she's not put in jail for some time). You'd basically have to move your whole life to another city since you're taking away the whole point of living in Whistler.

#20 ·
Remember you're paying for custom parts, workers time etc. It's not just a straight go to home depot and buy one part deal.

Not to mention with things like this it's a safety issue where they may have to replace and check a lot of things just to make sure it's all compliant, even if nothing is wrong with the actual part.

#23 ·
No one in Canada is capable of repairing those cars. They have to be detached by a certified team from Germany. And the parts are made in Austria. They won't ship the actual parts to Canada because of NAFTA, so Whistler has to pay to have them imported into the US and then smuggled across the border by pot dealers from the Lib Tech day shift.

#26 ·
The P2P cost like $50+ mill to build? Pretty sure the gondolas are worth a decent chunk of change. Lift equipment might not look that sophisticated but they're highly engineered and manufactured with extreme precision by very specialized companies. These things cost money, and the more custom the pricier.

The whole "criminal" aspect of this kinda sucks. Dude should have to pay for the damage, but probably didn't realize the effect it would have and was no doubt caught up in the moment. A criminal record and all that crap kinda just seems extreme when you look at how victimless it is other than the fact that some property belonging to a company worth many millions was damaged. People get away with way worse all the time... but it figures with the lack of justice system.

#31 ·
BASE jumpers have a long history of getting charged. Dude knew that and seemed to have a plan. His plan included damaging property to get what he wanted.

But....he was an idiot and posted his video online.

I don't feel bad for him: this wasn't an accident, he knew what the consequences would be

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.