Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Backside spin help
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
I need a name
Veteran Member

Default Backside spin help

Level 2 aasi instructor here. I should probably get a video to show you guys my problem, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Anytime I spin backside off of a larger kicker and attempt 5's or 7's, I always spin too early. On the takeoff I approach with the hourglass type carve as usual, and right at the end of the takeoff I pop up, throw the shoulders, and tuck my head over. I can get the rotations just fine, but I end up spinning 90 off the takeoff. Because of this, I shave off some speed and end up spinning misty and landing WAY in the backseat to the point where I have to grab the ground so I don't fall.

I guess the problem is, on blind takeoffs, how do I stop spinning too early? Obviously I have to throw pretty hard for these spins. I lose pop and spin too early, which puts me in an awkward position in the air. Anyone else ever had this happen? I'm riding a bataleon right now, never had this problem with any other boards, but I've never thrown hard backside off big kickers with my libtech and gnu. Is there anything wrong with spinning slightly before takeoff? I see a lot of people do it, but someone keeps mentioning it to me which makes me think mine is severely worse.