Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Brand new snowboarder
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
BellaNina

Question Brand new snowboarder

Hello all .. nice to meet you.

I am brand new to snowboarding and this forum, so bare with me.
My 9 year old daughter has expressed she would love to try snowboarding, so I put her in few weekends ago. She has had 4 lessons since than, one and a half hour long each time. She has just finished her beginner lessons and is now moved to improvement snowboarding classes. I spoke with her instructors and both have advised me that she is improving greatly (which was expected) but that she is and I quote "toe rider" which is rare. I am sorry I sound ignorant but what does that mean. I didnt have time too much to chit chat with the instructor as it was extremly busy that day. So here I am, asking you guys. Keep in mind, we are all new to this.
Also, watching her ride, she seems to be ok going forward but when she is learning backwards boarding she seems too scared and falls a lot. How can I help her improve this and whats the best method for this? She has told me the reason why she does it is because she is a bit nervous. She seems to really love snowboarding and I encourage her as much as I can.

Another thing I was confused at was that very first lesson, she had a rental (her bindings werent mounted on her own board since they sold me wrong ones and had to exchange them) so when she got her rental board they gave her board based on which is foot you kick soccer ball with and she did with right foot. So, when I went to the store to exchange her bindings and get them mounted on her board, they put it right foot forward. However, second lesson her instructor had to change it and fix her board since she was left food forward. So, she writes with her right hand. I am trying to take this all in but I have to be honest with myself, and say help me fellow boarders...

I am planning on taking snowboard lessons myself as we live close to Banff and we love going there. Anyway, I am glad I found this forum and I am sure I will be coming back with more questions

Thank you all!
Nina

Last edited by BellaNina; 02-17-2014 at 08:48 AM.
BellaNina is offline   Reply With Quote