Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Greg Doda: His words.
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Default Greg Doda: His words.

Greg Doda is the young man who straightlined Laramie Bowl at Jackson Hole, down a run with plenty of other skiers/riders, lost control, collided with a young woman and killed her. There was a lot of outrage over this, as he was simply being a selfish idiot. I personally think he should have gotten a lot more jail time than he did. He got off easy.

Greg was a kid when this happened (16) an obviously feels quite a bit of guilt at this. So in the long run, this is something he's never going to forget and always feel regret over. Sad to say, but many people end up taking their own lives after an incident like this.

More info on the accident here.

Greg did write a great summary of what happened, the consequences he's faced, and his beliefs since. I don't agree 100% with him, but this is something everyone should read. Reeling it in a bit on the slopes, especially at the resort is not a bad thing. Especially if people are around. I was involved in a collsion over 15 years ago that was my fault. Fortunately it wasn't as tragic as this, but it still sucked. Take some time to read this.

Quote:
Unthinkable Tragedy from One Unthinkable Moment
By Greg Doda
On a bright, crisp winter day in February 2005, my decision to snowboard too fast
tragically killed Heather Donahue. In an instant, my actions left a husband without his wife,
parents without their daughter and a sister without her soul mate. Heather Donahue’s death
irrevocably changed the lives of the people who loved her as well as my life and the lives of the
people who care for me. Everyday I struggle to cope with overwhelming remorse. Once I reveled
in the joy of a fast ride, but I now realize the razor-thin line that separates pure exhilaration from
tragedy. I have learned the importance of snowboarding responsibly every second of every ride.
All deaths are tragic, but Heather Donahue’s was particularly heartbreaking because her
life had been one of purpose and meaning. She was just 29 years old and had grown up in
Chelmsford, Massachusetts. Heather had chosen to become a veterinarian because of her love of
animals. She received her undergraduate degree from Colgate University and completed her
graduate studies at Colorado State University-College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical
Sciences. In 2004, she returned to Massachusetts for an internship in Emergency Medicine at
Tufts University. Heather was a leader of several organizations devoted to the care of animals.
She was in Jackson, Wyoming with her husband and family on a ski vacation when, tragically,
my irresponsibility in straight lining in Laramie Bowl destroyed the life of this benevolent
woman.
Rest of the article is here.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote