Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Snowboarding and Surfing?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kraig4422 
#1 ·
As another season comes to an end in the pacific north west I am wondering if I would be able to pick up surfing. I have a couple questions about it.. Do a lot of you guys surf in the summer? does it compliment your snowboarding? realistically how much harder is it to pick up then snowboarding and skateboarding?

#2 · (Edited)
Surfing is my main summer activity.

All these other sports are derivatives of surfing so yes I would say that it does compliment snowboarding. But it kind of depends on your riding style, if your a strict park-rat then it probably won't be that similar. But if you enjoy carving through powder and throwing spray off the side of the run, Or if you like to cruise through the pipe, carving up the walls and pulling "floaters" on the lip then it will feel real good to be out in the water surfing.

The big difference I think is how short your ride is, 10 seconds maybe. Whereas with snowboarding you got a wide set of time options. But on the flipside, it makes you really value your time on the wave. On the flipside again, because your ride is so short, its kinda hard to progress unless you catch alootta waves.

I think its harder than snowboarding because you need upper body (back/tris/bis) muscles to really get out, specially on bigger days. Duck diving is kinda of a bitch to learn, I'm not very good at it, but it helps with paddling out.

Also, you gotta learn how to read waves, when its curling right, when to start paddling. Timing is key.

Honestly, paddling is 80% or more of surfing, if you can't paddle, you will have some real problems with surfing

As far as riding is concerned, balance is totally different than snowboarding so don't get discouraged, it might take awhile for you to actually have a good time out there. But, once you get in the zone, its well worth it.

I advise you start out on a soft-top longboard because it paddles faster and you'll be able to get up a whole lot easier.

#5 ·
Yeah if you can get lessons that will help you get the ball rolling alot faster. Its recommended

As a side note, Waikiki on Ohau, Hawaii has to be the most mellow wave I've ever ridden and I think its the best place to learn. So if you ever find yourself out there, you will enjoy a laid back paradise style wave in amazing water temperatures with an unbeatable hawaiian backdrop. I think its the best place to learn...but you'll be fine on the west coast, the waves tend to be just a little bit steeper (at least here in so cal)

#7 ·
I used to surf a long time ago just about everyday. I surfed for a team called ocean magic surf and sport. When there was no waves we still paddled out to second reef practiced duck diving and wave catching.

The biggest difference is the speed in decision making and timing.Start off catching a wave and riding it straight in and work on foot placement and balance.

#8 ·
Here is a link for a surf shop in Westport, WA. It is a good place to start. Having surfed Cali, Hawaii, Mexico i love surfing. It is alot different (and a lot harder) than snowboarding. Surfing in the PNW is pretty different than those places though. Water temp is a bitch (so cold) and the summer surf here isn't very good. Still fun though.
Surf Shop Home

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.