Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Too late to correct bad form?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
tokyo_dom

Default Too late to correct bad form?

I first picked up a snowboard in 1997 as a 18yr old, and basically tought myself to board. No lessons, and back then, no youtube to go to for advice. My technique for turning involved longitudinal 'twisting' of the board; lift my toes on the front foot to increase the angle of edge, while simultaneously dropping my toes on the rear, to initiate a heelside turn and vice versa. Looking at it now, this forced me to use my hips to make the board twist, so perhaps not all that bad, but i know now it isnt how people learn.

Until 2011 I had only done at most 15 days on the snow, but considered myself intermediate - no problems going down most runs, quick turns, slow turns, switch riding, flat ground 180 jumps and straight airs off 5-10ft kickers.

Since 2011, i have been doing about 10-15 days a year. Still a weekend boarder, and still living 3+hrs from the snow, but its a lot cheaper to do a weekend trip here in Japan

I now think of myself as fairly advanced in snowboarding - black runs are no problems, I can absorb all sorts of choppy terrain and i will jump off whatever cornice/feature i can find. In the park i can hit 30 foot straight airs, and 360s on smaller jumps, and tried my first backflip off a natural feature the other day (landed on my face, but it felt awesome).

The problem is, when looking at snowboarding videos of myself, i find it embarrassing to look at. Invisible girlfriend arm and shoulders right open. I am pretty sure i rudder most of my turns too.
I know this is wrong, and i keep trying to get my arm down by my side, and shoulders aligned. I know how to, and can easily do front foot initiated turns, stay centered and lay down carving lines when needed... But it all has to be a conscious effort. As soon as i stop thinking about it, i am back with the open shoulders and bad turning technique, which is all so second-nature to me now.

TLDR; version: Can i correct bad technique that has been cemented in over 15+ years and 50+ days of riding? Is there any success stories of people fixing their technique like mine?
tokyo_dom is offline   Reply With Quote