Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Inside Edition exposes smoke shacks in colorado, gets them blown up

5K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  CassMT 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Placing hidden cameras is probably not legal either, unless they had some sort of permit. That being said, I do think that being under the influence is dangerous on the hills. You can seriously injure somebody.

That shack is pretty awesome though -- I wonder how long it took to build that thing.

#6 · (Edited)
Not sure how I feel about it to be honest. The news story was dumb and overblown for sure. Some people can't handle their weed though. I'd be pissed if a stoned rider injured a family member who was trying to learn. But I've never seen anyone being as dumb as that video on the groomers. Most people who ride stoned are better than I am sober, so it doesn't seem like a real issue.

I'm not sure how things are in Colorado since the new laws changed, but in WA, nothing has changed at all. People who smoked before the law changed still do and it's business as usual. There isn't some influx of stoner gapers falling all over the place. It's like the reporters lucked out by finding these two guys and didn't bother showing the other dozens of people riding away fine.

that shack got blown up�� just read in another thread.
Yeah the second pic I posted is what the shack looks like now apparently. Rumor was that avy control blew it up.

And you can't really blame them...even if Vail turned a blind eye before, now that it's been on the news, NBC forced their hand. Otherwise there are plenty of ambulance chaser lawyers ready to go for their deep pockets for willingly failing to act.

Placing hidden cameras is probably not legal either, unless they had some sort of permit.
It's completely legal to record in a public place, hidden camera or not. However, they still almost always get consent to use their image in situations like this. In footage that was cut, they would have recorded them verbally agreeing that they can be shown on camera. Anyone who refused, they hide their face or blur it out. That's why you see a couple people with blurred faces right beside people with clear faces in that vid.

#16 ·
Let me give you guys some facts.

Those two idiots actually live up here. My old roommates brother lived next door to one of them last year, the other actually lives in Breck. Although I can't see either of those two lasting for much longer up here after the shack was blown. I expect the Mt. Breckenridge Surf Team will have some words and exchanges with those two.

They claim "hidden" camera. A friend was in there when they walked in and said "who wants to be on national television". He knew something was up so he opted out, but they never fully disclosed what the footage was going to be for. Those two put on a show. Whether that was an agenda pushed by Inside Edition or Vail Resorts I haven't gotten the full story, just that those two turned up the ham level specifically for the chance of being on public television.

Vail Resorts also had a bit of a hand in this. There have been shacks on the mountains for decades, it's nothing new. But with legalized weed, that horrible letter that woman wrote to them a few months ago, a great snow year, and spring break coming in hot. They had to do something to mitigate the influx of people showing up that are not from here that will ultimately buy legal weed from the store, get on the slopes, and probably go full retard. They go full retard without the weed but the level just went up to 11. If you put the fear of something into people it might tone it down, it might not.

The shack was blown by the U.S.F.S in conjunction with Breckenridge Ski Patrol. Yesterday there were a lot of little explosions elsewhere on the mountain in lower areas. I haven't bothered to go check and see if any of the other shacks are gone or not. But about every 5 years the USFS goes through and cleans out the log jibs as well as the shacks. Then the REAL locals go back up and rebuild.

On the humor side of thing we actually went and filmed a parody of this today. Lets just say I had to fake puke off a chairlift, we got "Bob" from Nebraska to try weed for the first time, and somehow snowboarders kept exploding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.