Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Snowboard Gear on Shinkansen

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tokyo_dom 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Will be in Tokyo for a month and will be bringing my gear with me. Would love to try all the nearby slopes for each of the weekends in March. I'm going alone though, so a bit nervous.

I think the first place I will try is Naeba/Kagura. I'm assuming the Shinkansen is the best way to get there quickly?

Would you recommend I take a roller snowboard bag and pack everything in? Or a backstrappable snowboard sleeve with a small roller suitcase?

I hear the baggage space on Shinkansen is a bit limited. Any tips? Please advise. Thanks!

#2 ·
I take my board with me every time i go to Kagura or Gala (which is even more shinkansen friendly - the Gondola leaves from the shinkansen station)

Prior to this season i used a Burton Gig bag to carry my board and wear/boots etc. Havent had any problems with space; if you are quick you can load the board onto the overhead storage racks, otherwise just put it behind the back most seat in the carriage. This year i have a big booter backpack + board sleeve; i find I have a lot more mobility compared to the board bag, which always felt so huge.

Weekends in March will be crazy busy on that shinkansen though. And also when you get to Echigoyuzawa station, you need to catch a bus to Kagura. Catching a 6:30ish shinkansen from Tokyo gets you there before 8, but there have been times where the line for the bus is easily 100 people long. Somewhat painful for a bus that leaves every hour or so. If you are going with friends, you can just catch a taxi, but thats 3000yen each way.

Since you will only be there for one month i am guessing money wouldnt be much of a concern, but you can also look into the bus tours; the night buses leave Tokyo around 11pm and drop you off right at the snow resorts at 6am or so. Lets you get ready/snooze before hitting the first lines. They are also cheaper than Shinkansen (6-8000yen vs 13+k), though if you have trouble sleeping on a bus it is quite rough.

My friends also post their boards to and from the resorts; its only about 1500yen each way. I prefer to have my gear with me from the instant i get there, and not have to wait 2 days to dry out my board wear. And since i try to get out on the slopes every weekend from November to May, i prefer to save money where i can.

#3 ·
I think the first place I will try is Naeba/Kagura. I'm assuming the Shinkansen is the best way to get there quickly?
You can Shinkansen there from Tokyo station (1hr16m) then take a bus to Kagura and Naeba. Kagura is closer than Naeba so day trips would be do-able, but for Naeba you would have to stay overnight since the shinkansen station to Naeba is a few hours away by car (or bus).

Would you recommend I take a roller snowboard bag and pack everything in? Or a backstrappable snowboard sleeve with a small roller suitcase?
You can do either, there generally is no problem from what I've seen. Me and my friends generally have those bigger bags with/without wheels. You should try to book towards the back of the train car. There is space between the wall and the last seat where you can fit your snowboarding bag. If the people who are sitting on that last seat aren't other snowboarders with that space full of their snowboarding stuff, you can generally still cram your boarding bag there.

#4 ·
Are you thinking of a different Naeba? Because the same shuttle bus that services Kagura goes on to Naeba, its about 15mins away from the Tashiro gondola station.

You can actually board across into Naeba from Kagura if you have a combined lift ticket (about 500yen more than the regular one-day pass)

#6 ·
Thanks all!

I managed well on my first trip last weekend to Kagura. Heading to Happo this weekend.

For those who need this info in the future, there is definitely limited space on the train. And for trains specifically heading towards ski resorts/stations, there is basically nobody else but snowboarders/skiers. So there was definitely a mad rush with peeps and their bigger bags to utilize a little compartment in the back with limited space. I fortunately brought my sleeve and was super chill and non-stressed. Best of luck!

Room Auto part Vehicle Luggage and bags Baggage

#8 ·
Not only you, but every single other passenger.

I feel sorry for the 1-2 people in suits that are catching those trains those mornings, having to put up with snowboarders/skiers scramble to load their stuff somewhere.

It can be done with a full board bag in front of you; its not the longest commute. But if you are bringing proper suitcases i would suggest travelling on weekdays rather than weekends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.