Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Buying first board
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
paladyr

Default Buying first board

I just went to snowshoe which is the 4th time I've tried snowboarding and I think I'm ready to buy a board/bindings. I've come to the realization that every skiing resort has given me a board based on my height, but that weight was a better indicator. I'm 5'9" but I'm an avid weightlifter with an athletic build at 180lbs. All four times I have used a Burton LTR 150/154cm board, and a calculator I used recommended a 159cm board. I definitely got the hang of snowboarding but felt unstable at higher speeds.

My boots measure 12.75" or 32.385cm. I definitely want an all mountain board. I do like to be able to ride switch and would rather go down the hill with control than speed. I will most likely only go snowboarding once or twice a year so I'm not looking for a $400 snowboard, just looking to avoid renting gear and ride something I can continue to get better on (not a beginners board).

Questions:
1. (Changed) I forgot the calculator said I should get a board that is 25.3cm/253mm, so I guess I'll aim for that and this question can be disregarded.
2. Should I try a longer rental board first (Burton LTR)? I've already tried a 150 and a 154, the only other option is a 160. I think these boards are really soft so I'm not sure if trying a longer board would really help me decide.
3. Any board recommendations? Should I go with a binding/board combo option if I can?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by paladyr; 02-24-2014 at 09:50 AM.
paladyr is offline   Reply With Quote