Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Libtech Banana Magic 157cm
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
seriouscat
Rides Caturdayz

Default 2013 Libtech Banana Magic 157cm

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form qualified for professional reviews. This is just a personal observation.

Rider Stat:

175lbs
178cm
US size 9 feet

Setup:

2013 Libtech Banana Magic 157cm
2014 Ride El Hefe /w 2.5 wedges
Flow Talon Focus
+18/ -12
22.5" stance

Conditions:

POW! Knee to waist deep power in chutes in Kicking horse and 12-15cms at Revy.

First Impression:

Very Agile. It makes riding moguls and trees that much fun. Feels very stable despite the massive center reverse. Makes you feel comfortable right away in all kinds of variable conditions.

Base: Feels decently fast on factory wax. Pretty tough though, took a few rocks buried underneath and just one minor scratch.

Edgehold: Excellent. I never felt like I was missing something in the chutes. More than I can say for many center reverse boards I tried. It's not insane like Kessler style camber where you can go perpendicular against the hill, but rather want to follow the fall lines.

Dampness: Pretty damp, while it won't blast through things as easily as a super stiff board with more camber. I feel pretty good riding on it all day. No problem on jump landings either.

Turning: Very quick turns. If you can't turn on this then it's all you. Found myself making extra turns in moguls and trees for fun. That being said it is pretty damn stiff. Not sure how a beginner would feel on it.

Carving: Pretty easy to carve but because the side cut the turns come quickly. You get a nice rhythm going but not the smooth feeling you get with a non mange traction board. The board also just want to follow the hill quickly.

Powder: Pretty good. You can just ride regularly for anything below knee deep. Once it goes beyond that you do need to lean back a bit for some spots. Feels like it blast thru powder rather than rise above it.

Conclusion: Great off piste board. Best to follow trees, chutes whatever in fall line with good speed. Would not purchase for groomers, or if you like making your own lines against the mountain.

The Good:

Easy of riding, not often you go on a new board and feels comfortable right away. Makes everything fun

The BAD:

Still not the biggest fan of magnetraction. This one is the full blown aggressive version. Feels "OK" on groomers" but in variable conditions of powder over hard pack chop, the edge can dig in too much. A lot of drag and sometimes makes the board want to flip instead of flowing over.

The UGLY:

Glow in the dark sidewalls do not work T.T

Last edited by seriouscat; 02-24-2014 at 01:02 PM.
seriouscat is offline   Reply With Quote