Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

burton supermodel or custom?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  VinXXX 
G
#1 ·
Help me out people. I'm new to the forum and looking into getting a new board. I'm 5'6",160lbs and I was looking at getting either the Burton Supermodel 155 or Custom 154 or 156. I'm only able to snowboard 4-5 days/year and have been doing this for only five years (I'm from Florida). I've been surfing for the past 23 years and I think that has helped me progress with snowboarding. I don't hit the parks or pipe (I'm too old for that). I just like cruising and carving mainly groomers right now, but I would like to eventually move on to other parts of the mountain. I've been to Park City, UT and a couple places in Switzerland so far. For the past 5 years I've been renting and borrowing boards from friends. I think its time to get my own!

G
#2 ·
I think you should go with the custom which is made to be an all mountain board. I think you'll have more edge control and the board will feel much more comfortable for you rather than the supermodel which was really made to be a freeride board (idea for powder or off-piste riding). I have the supermodel and you really get the most out of the board and see what it can do in deep powder. You may want a board with shorter side cut so it grips the groomers better and can allow you to progress nicely in various snow conditions. Custom is an awesome board and you can hit park, groomers whatever you want on that. Good luck!

#4 ·
I would go with the Custom, Supermodel is a good board for deep pow but for hardpacked and groomers, it's ok...if you're not at a more advanced level, it's defintely one of those board that can easily man handle you big time...I learned that the hard way a while back....

G
#10 ·
ABB dude... anything but Burton.... I rode my Supermodel for 3 days and it sucked big time... Burton is 80% image 20% performance... do some homework... there's TONS of stuff out there to choose from that will not only suit your riding style, but perform waaaaaaaaay better than bandwagon Burton... my .02 cents

G
#12 ·
Shit... where to start, where to start... i'm quite a bit bigger so I can't offer much advice size wise... i'm assuming since you surf you don't want too stiff of a setup, I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and maybe suggest a skate banana or some other gnu/lib tech btx/mtx magnatraction...never rode one but everybody seems to say they're noodly yet hold an edge when they need to... I dunno... wish I could offer more advice, i'm sure some people on here will be able to offer advice... shop around, get feedback, and whatever you do, don't skimp on boots!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.