Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Tree Board: Nitro Slash, NS Cobra, K2 Ultra Dream
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
BoardTheSnow73

Default Tree Board: Nitro Slash, NS Cobra, K2 Ultra Dream

I'm looking for a board to ride through tight trees on deep powder days. I'm finally back in snow territory (after 3 years of riding shit ice in Boise), and I've been out exploring quite a bit this winter. The easily accessible stuff gets tracked in a hurry, but if you're willing to get into the thicker trees, there's a lot of fun to be had.

I've basically got a board for everything else, so this one is going to fit a specific need....no need to compromise. I'm 6'3" 230lbs sz12. I've got an old cambered Venture Euphoria 168 (28cm waist) that absolutely annihilates open powder faces, but it's like steering the Titanic in the trees. I've also got a Highlife UL 163W that works great in most conditions, but simply does not have the surface area to keep me afloat in the deep stuff. So I'm searching for something in between these two. Preferably with some sort of lightweight construction to keep swing weight down. I don't ride switch, so taper is welcome.

I think I've basically got it narrowed down to these:

.................................Waist.....Sidecut .....Setback.....Taper........Camber
Nitro Slash 166............26.4......7.8/7.0.......1"............9mm........Gullwing
NS Cobra X 166...........26.9........8.05.........?.........0 (Spade Tail)....RC
K2 Ultra Dream 165W...26.7........8.0........3/4"............0mm.........Flat w/Tweakend
Prior Khyber 165..........26.0........8.5.........1"........... ....30mm....Hybrid Rocker (RCR)

Any input or comparisons on these are welcome. I've read quite a bit about the Cobra and UD, but there's not a lot of info out there about the Slash.
On paper, the Slash is perfect, but I'd like some real world input. Also, is there any real difference between Gullwing and RC?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BoardTheSnow73; 02-28-2014 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Added Khyber
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote