Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Beginner snowboarder looking for advice
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
TooNice

Default Beginner snowboarder looking for advice

Hi guys.

I was a (very regular) skier for many years before switching to snowboarding recently.

I first started snowboarding two seasons ago but only for 2.5 days each season, and while I could do turns to some extent I never felt like I was 100% in control of those turns. I was also starting to wonder if I was really a "regular" (the goofy vs regular tests came up mixed).

So far I've snowboarded twice this season. First day of the first time this season, I tried a goofy board. I don't think I managed a single turn on that stance with my right foot forward, yet managed rather well with my left foot forward. So I went back to regular again the next day. It probably makes no sense at all, but I felt like I had a bit more control doing turn with my left foot forward on a goofy board, but I decided to a regular board anyway. But I was starting to get puzzled by my lack of progress (by now, I had snowboarding for 7 days since the very first time).

The first day of the second time this season, I joined a small group lesson, and the instructor instantly noticed that my boots were too loose. Thing is, I am a hiker, and when buying hiking shoes, it's common to one size up so that you can layer, and also compensate for the foot swelling after long distance walk and did the same with snowboarding shoes. As soon as I went down half a size, my control got much better, and down half another size (on a very battered rental shoes) and it did not feel nearly as tiring anymore and has become so much more fun. Now I can finally say for sure that I want to continue snowboarding, and plan to do more frequent and longer trips from now on.

This time I snowboarded for 5 days, and really worked on my form with basic turns. I had a bad back leaning habit, which still present on steeper slopes, but it is getting better. Once I have that down, I am wondering what I should work on next.

A lot of my peers wants to do jumps as soon as they can do regular turns in intermediate slopes. When I was learning how to ski though, we did not learn how to jump until my foundations were rock solid (as you'd expect when taught at school?). Long turns, short turns, parallel turns, carve turns etc. first taught long before we did jumps (actually I am pretty sure we were practising how to absorb bumps before jumps too). In the same vein, I was wondering if the next thing should be carving, switch riding, something that does not require the board to go off the ground.. or if indeed it is fine to work on basic jumps.

Last question, would you encourage taking paid lessons (group or 1-to-1)? And if so, until what stage?

Thanks

Last edited by TooNice; 03-01-2014 at 12:02 AM.
TooNice is offline   Reply With Quote