Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

powder board and stance width.

14K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  KIRKRIDER 
#1 ·
I used to set way back my camber board for deep days, and it worked to somewhat diminish the back leg workout, but at the same time control of the board was not the same, not to mention washing out every other turn. So once I got my Hovercraft I kept doing the same on deep pow days.

I am now convinced that is wrong. both boards should be ridden centered and respecting your stance ( mine is 20.5 / 21 ). I started pay attention to that and realized that moving both binding as far back as possible would give me a stance of about 23.5 / 24, way wider than I like. SO I finally marked the spots on both boards where my stance width takes me, no matter the conditions, and the board (Hovercraft) performed much better.

How do you guys deal with deep days? What do you think?

#2 ·
There's no need to setback a powder board. They're already plenty setback.

Setting back other boards behind what the camber is really designed for causes the issues you're talking about. In my experience, those issues don't show up in powder, but make themselves well known as soon as you hit a groomer. IMO, it's a give and take. If it's a really deep day and that's all you've got, set it back and deal with the little bit of sketchiness on groomers between pow stashes. I also never set my bindings back beyond what my normal stance width would allow.

#3 ·
There's no need to setback a powder board. They're already plenty setback.

Now I see the light. Also, on the new Hovercraft thy marked the center points, I saw in a video review. On mine they weren't marked, making the whole setup a bit of hit and miss. How do you properly calculate the sidecut center in a Hybrid rocker- camber - rocker board?

#4 ·
The easiest thing to do is just pull out a tape measure. Assuming the inserts are correct, look up the recommend setback for the board, then measure from the tip to the first set of the inserts and the same for the rear. That will be a bit tricky with the hovy. Or measure between the widest points with the board on its side to determine the center point to measure out your stance width

#5 ·
How do you guys deal with deep days? What do you think?
Powder board...like a Charlie Slasher

Now I see the light. Also, on the new Hovercraft thy marked the center points, I saw in a video review. On mine they weren't marked, making the whole setup a bit of hit and miss. How do you properly calculate the sidecut center in a Hybrid rocker- camber - rocker board?
Ought to be able to see it or just do some width measuring with a tape measure....narrowest point will be the sidecut center.

#7 ·
Yep. Got it now. JJ suggests a 23" stance for the Hovy, it feels a bit too wide for me, but I might try it in a really deep and fluffy day.

according to most tables I found online the Stance width for my height should be around 20, tape measured the inserts and found out my options, marked them down on all boards. Funny that in ALL board setup video I watched ( and I watched lots of them) there is no mention about this step.

#11 ·
I wasn't considering width at all. I usually placed the bindings on the manufacturer's marked center in the inserts, ride like that, and eventually move it all back on a deep day.
Then I started narrowing my stance on the A-Frame (camber) and man, carving was so much easier.

I got into finding my "suggested" stance width and use that as reference point instead of the marks on the board.

Wish I knew it sooner!

#12 ·
I just don't think there's any set scale for width. Kind of like there's no set scale for board length based on height or weight. It's just whatever is comfortable for the individual. Now obviously it would be pretty extreme for a 5'6" guy to be riding 24" wide or a 6'4" guy to be riding 20" wide, but then again, they probably wouldn't find that to be very natural feeling and probably wouldn't ride that way long.

I'm 5'11" and ride at 22.5".

#18 ·
Until recently I'd never had the opportunity to get into deeper powder. I'd only been in short stuff, and of course I always loved it, but it doesn't really matter what type of board you're on in shallow powder. So I took a 160 Heritage to Big Sky, found a blue that was knee-high plus, and jumped in gleefully...and bit it. It was hilarious really. After I finally was able to stand again I continued, more cautiously, but I kept catching edges on turns. Eventually I said screw it to attempting turns and just went straight, surfing the rest of the way through the run. I'd set my stance back a bit in anticipation of the day. The next day I set it back as far as it would go under the (foolish?) notion that it would help my turning, and it was just as bad.

It wasn't a powder weekend though so I just kept to normal groomers after that. I was disappointed in my first real powder experience. But now I'm pretty sure I would have been best served just keeping my normal stance on that board as a starter. I understand there's a learning curve to powder, but I probably completely countered every intended benefit to my board by setting my bindings that way.

#19 ·
That was my feeling too. What kind of deep snow is important too. Kirkwood's was heavy in the morning, and the traces left by other riders were deep steps after few hours. In a situation like that having no tail makes it really hard to not wash out of every other turn. Sure you can just rudder off the board, but in deep heavy snow that slows you down too much.

#20 ·
Yeah I ride the same stance width/angles on every board, regardless of setback. At least I try (the Nitro Slash 166 has a minimum stance width about 1" wider than I like).

I also noticed the other day that I setback my Virus about 3/4" more than the factory setback. Same stance width (21.25") but more setback. Been riding it for a while now and love the setup in ALL conditions... I really get over the nose and drive the board on groomer days though. So much so that my FRONT leg hurts on groomer days! lol

#21 ·
Nice! I know what you mean, I like to load the front and carve too on the A Frame. Still haven't had really good snow yet. But that might change this week. I see a carving weekend coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.