Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Your 2014 Snowboarding Highlights?

8K views 77 replies 53 participants last post by  AntipodeanSam 
#1 ·
2014 season after 65 days on my snowboard.

2014 I now can ride switch full speed on most terrain, do moguls & glades, hit jumps on the mountain and in the park.

2014 season pass at JayPeak just brought my boarding to a new level being my only experience ridding was at Seven Springs PA.

Hope to finish 2014 on the halfpipe and hit some 180s off kickers.

So how was your 2014 season?

#3 ·
^^^ True! But so far my seasons been good, different but good.

- Only 19 days on snow so far (was at 28 this time last year), but I plan on finishing strong.

- Doing FS and BS 180s now and hopefully going to start some 360s soon. After 22 years of focus on carving and off-piste, my final frontier is freestyle! lol

- Completed all my on snow tests for the Canadian Ski Patrol, heading this weekend to a course on how to evaluate and train other boarders. They liked my riding! :yahoo:

- Had some AWESOME days in powder at Fernie and Kicking Horse, and some early season fun at Lake Louise. The Fernie day was particularly good, because the powder was fresh and I was able to lay out big wide open powder carves, speed checks for face shots, etc.

- Said to myself "hit everything" with regards to any off-piste jump I see, and so far I haven't hurt myself. I'm taking more chances than usual, and having more fun! :D

Good year, but wanting MORE time on the snow!

#4 ·
Strange but good season. Only 15 days so far - been away till mid Jan. The initial plans to practice riding switch on groomer days were neglected - only been 5 days on groomers, thus I still suck at switch :huh: buuuut had a splendid pow season riding forward :yahoo: getting more and more confident on little jumps, at riding fast and reading terrain, the frear to crack the neck again is fading.
Very strange season... only little snowfall, but if, then always towards the weekend. Go on :thumbsup:

#6 · (Edited)
I moved to Colorado this fall and I have only missed one weekend on the hill since October (I was sick :() I'm somewhere between 35-40 days, I'll probably ride more this year than all other years combined.
I've lost count of how many times I've said "best snow day I've ever had" this season. It's the best decision I've ever made to move here... If I didn't like my job so much, I'd be looking to move into the hills.

Riding after getting 26" in one day was an amazing new experience this year. Also notable was getting to finally ride a day at Blue Sky Basin in Vail (just went there Sunday). Jumping off the cornice into amazing snow near Lover's Leap was so much fun. Grilling brats at the top of the lift on the open grill was icing on the cake. I also really enjoyed Champagne Glades.
My riding has definitely improved this year. The single best thing I did was take a lesson. I've been snowboarding for over 10 years, and I never realized how many bad habits I had... ruddering, disco dancing for balance, and trying to throw my board around instead of properly initiating a turn. I had an amazing lesson that got me working on all the kinks in my riding. I can now manage runs that used to be difficult or tiring before at a much faster pace, using much less energy.

So all in all, it was a great year... but it's not over yet :thumbsup:

#7 · (Edited)
Started slow but been good so far, almost every time I go lately there has been fresh snow falling till at least 1:00. Had nice 18" and 9" powder days , just got back from 3 cold ass days at Mt. Snow and heading up to Jay and Sugarbush next week. Crossing my fingers for some northern Vermont mid March dumps.

Haven't practiced my switch riding as much as I should, just can't convince myself to do that instead of riding the trees when fresh snow is falling.

#8 ·
started slow, only at 10 or 11 days so far, i work a lot... but it will pick up. Gonna be gunning for 2 days a week all the way up until late April. hopefully i finish somewhere around 30 days. Highlights for me, got acquainted with some air, also started jibbing (so much fun.) I look like a total park noob out there but my carving is on point... ive never felt more in control with speed as i do right now. feeling great!

#9 ·
Head off for my third week-long trip of the season this Saturday - Lake Tahoe! (Heavenly, Kimberley, Northstar)
Did a week each at Red Mountain B.C. (very good) and Fernie B.C. (awful. I don't believe poutanen's claims about powder at Fernie.:giggle:)

Several day trips locally trying to improve my non-existent park/freestyle skills have been less successful than I'd hoped.:thumbsdown:

#10 ·
So far this year's highlights have been:

Riding 36 days between VT, CO, UT, and WY with a full time job (50 hrs/week) and while living in NJ.

Riding two mountains I've never been to before: Telluride & Jackson Hole.

Getting face shots on 3 east coast days which I can't recall happening ever.

Dropping into Corbet's at Jackson successfully.

Working on a video edit and putting out a trailer for it! Welcome to Tah Full edit coming soon!

#12 ·
I live in Houston now...

I live in Houston now (work), so I only got 2 days on the snow :(. You guys that live close to the mountains enjoy it for me and don't take it for granted.

Despite only getting 2 days in, I made the most of them. I can still do all of my tricks, can still ride everything switch, can still go all day, etc.

I got a lot of video and had a lot of fun with my best friends.

I miss being able to ride all the time, but I definitely love riding just as much as I used to. Maybe someday my work will take me back to the snow

#16 ·
The weather has been kinda goofy here which has kept me from a lot of hero lines due to coverage/avy danger , but Ive had fun so far. Ive expanded my territorial range quite a bit so that's been exciting

Its been a season of heavy snow but this was some of the lightest Ive even ridden

#19 ·
The stoke is high!

Moving from Ontario to BC was the best thing I could have done with regards to progressing my snowboard skills. I feel confident in powder, trees, small cliffs / drops (all of which are in short supply in the East).

Definitely haven't gotten out as much as I had hoped (work sucks), but planing a couple of weekend trips this month and lots of spring time action in April

2014 ain't over yet!

#20 ·
Spent an obscene amount of time teaching this year, with great reward. I started gaining enough confidence with the support of my co-workers to try things I haven't done in awhile. I also got to road trip up to the mountains with someone pretty awesome, and was coerced into trying to conquer my fear of heights with MORE support from my co-workers. For now, I've also got a few weeks left in the season, so hopefully my students will help me make the best of that, and hopefully one last small road trip is going to happen before I hop on my bike and start pedaling everywhere.

#21 ·
Shitty weather has prevented me from having a great season so far.

Still had a few interesting highlights:

- Couple good snow days 8-10 in. with my son.

- First backcountry experience last week-end (snowshoe and board on backpack)

- Rode the 22' ice-pipe for the first time. Starting to get comfortable.

- Still managed to get the same number of days as last year to date, but with way more vertical.

#23 ·
My highlight was riding pow at Mammoth this last weekend on my fish.

Nothing better.

Let's see Whistler during Xmas no snow all ice.

Snowbird during MLK weekend decent snow not great.

Aspen, Snowmass, Buttermilk during Pres. Weekend Decent not great except for Vail which had to pay 120$ for a day tix (reg was 140 , had group rate) not happy about price.

1 or 2 more places to hit.

Jackson hole late March, hope its good.

Maybe Squaw.

Thank good for Mt . Collective Pass

Attachments

#26 ·
I love this thread on so many levels. If you asked me a year ago would I ever snowboard, I would have emphatically said NO. I have a disdain for the cold and prefer the Caribbean over snow any day. That said, when I met the most awesome guy and learned he would be snowboarding most weekends, I thought, well hell, if I want to see him, I better get my ass in gear. Martin Luther King weekend was my inaugural snowboard session. It was the weekend I nearly broke my tailbone, peed my snowboard pants and cried in the ladies room. Being an avid windsurfer and being highly determined, I stuck with it and eventually went 8 weekends boarding and now, am on blue trails loving it. I hope to board into the end of April. I dream about snowboarding, I am eager for more. This sport has redefined who I am as an athlete and has taken me outside my comfort zone to a new level. I love my new sport. Thanks everyone here who gave me tips and info along the way. Great forum. My goal is to ride park soon and land in one of those big inflatables someday ..whoooooooooooooooo

#28 ·
It's been a fun year :yahoo:

The biggest thing is I'm finally confident doing 5's all ways and even landed a few sloppy 7's this year! Helped riding with a guy who was miles better than me! I had to send it when I rode with him.

I've made it out 35 times thus far

Went to Castle Mtn, Nakiska, Revelstoke, Fernie, and Sunshine while I was working in Alberta!

Castle and Revelstoke were my favorites, I only went to Fernie twice early season.. I may go there this week again before I leave for good!

Went on another fun trip to Utah, Hit Brighton, Snowbird, Canyons and Solitude
Canyons sucks, but the orange bubble chair with heated seats is the tits!
Love the other three resorts.

Then I've used my Epic Pass pass like 10 times at Key and Breck over X-mas and rotations home.. Hopefully I get some use out of it this spring!

Here's some shitty Iphone pics from Castle Mtn today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.