Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Your Snowboard Vehicle.

383K views 2K replies 556 participants last post by  speedjason 
G
#1 ·
New to the forums. Currently have a BMW 330xi as my vehicle to get to the mountain. See where that's a problem? More than a couple inches on the road and I am screwed..

Looking for input on what vehicles you all drive to the mountain. I have about 12k to put into this. Maybe more.

Thanks for input--

-Alex

G
#38 ·
'05 Corolla, don't even own chains. Of course, the tires were pretty bald over the winter so I did a little fishtailing here and there, but that's all in good fun.

The condition of your tires makes 10x more difference in the snow than the make of your car.

#41 ·
'97 chevy cavalier 4door FOR THE WIN!!!

Cost me $500, has never gotten stuck in the snow so bad that I can't dig it out, and always gets me and 2 other friends to the mountain, no problem. Wow, there is apparently a lot of rich people in this forum.

#44 ·
'08 2WD Chevy Colorado. Toss a few sandbags in the bed along with the board and 2 snow tires on the rear wheels, good to go.

#46 ·
for 12 K I'd get an older Land Rover Discovery and outperfom any subaru...

haha but I'm no real authority on that, just had a really good experience with our old Discovery

but now we drive the H2...which we ironically found at a Subaru dealership lol...while my parents were pushing the numbers around I was takin a look at the Subs and I think they all have horrible design (from an aesthetic standpoint) except for the brand new 2009 Impreza, which I think has poetential given the right color ways/aftermarket modifications.

Not really a big Subaru fan, but I'm a douche bag for saying this while not having any prior driving experience lol so Yes I acknowledge that.

I still say you take a look at Land Rover before you really commit to Legacy

#47 ·
I want one of these for a winter beater:

92 VW GTI. Right now we have an Accord. Works well enough with chains on, but I'm always worried about scratches and dings since it is in really good shape. I want a beater!

#52 · (Edited)
If you really want to make the panties drop, you have to go with a European design. May I suggest the Fiat Multipla.

Such classical styling lines. Or of course, there's some girls that won't go for a spin unless you're rolling in Detroit Iron. And nothing says steeze like the Pontiac Aztek

But everyone knows, the only way to be straight up G and get those ho's to be jumpin' in yo ride is to chop and drop your whip. Which is why the discerning gentleman will go with the following.

My personal opinion on the actual coolest car to take to the mountain? Show up with your snowboard on top of one of these

G
#55 ·
My ride 1996 WRX STi sedan-can only seat 2 + boards but goes like hell.

My wifeys 2000 Subaru forester turbo. Goes really well up the mountain and on the highway home.

Sometimes we take my friends old Isuzu Trooper up too.3.2 turbo diesel it bombs up there lol

#396 ·
My ride 1996 WRX STi sedan-can only seat 2 + boards but goes like hell.

My wifeys 2000 Subaru forester turbo. Goes really well up the mountain and on the highway home.

Sometimes we take my friends old Isuzu Trooper up too.3.2 turbo diesel it bombs up there lol
A 1996 WRX STI?! There is literally no such thing, you're more than 7 years early to the first ones hitting the showroom floor
Do you mean a 1996 Impreza that now has a WRX or STI engine/drivetrain/transmission swap? Cuz if so, I'd love to see some pics, those cars can be beasts ;)

#56 ·
I only have one car right now, 2008 Honda Accord Coupe 5 Speed.

Sadly, if I bring my own gear I can only bring one other person with me. Although, I have carried three snowboards and all the riders' gear in the trunk. The last person had no other way of bringing his stuff. :dunno:

I'm scared of the abuse my car is going through, but what choice do I have when I'm jonesing?

#57 ·
I only have one car right now, 2008 Honda Accord Coupe 5 Speed.

Sadly, if I bring my own gear I can only bring one other person with me. Although, I have carried three snowboards and all the riders' gear in the trunk. The last person had no other way of bringing his stuff. :dunno:
Really? Because I have an Integra, which is about the same size, if not smaller than the Accord... I fit 2 boards and a set of skis in the back, with one of the rear seats folded flat. Packed the trunk full of gear, and put 3 people in and was good to go.

#69 ·
Thats all fine and good until you have to or are forced to stop on a hill. My ScionTC can go well up the mountain with snow tires, but atleast twice this season i had to stop on a significant incline.
Took pushing to get me going forward, it was quite embarrassing and scary since there were other cars around and i had no real control.

#65 ·
91 volvo, 740 wagon, automatic, 2 rwd...very predictible handling, not great on snow and ice but predictable. Have fit 6 kids (teens) plus me as the driver, 4 snowboards, 2 pairs of skis in the old school rack and 1 more snowboard in the back. It has s 60/40 split fold down back seat (never used) cause we rack the gear and cram in the kids. So when you haul a wagon load its fairly economical.

#72 ·
If there's not much chance of snow, I drive a 2006 Mazda 6 with snow tires.

If it's snowing, or supposed to snow, I drive my 2008 Suzuki XL7 AWD...Thing's a beast in the snow. Never gotten stuck once even when most of Denverites had trouble heading up the hill with the huge storms we got the beginning of April.

#74 ·
And it`s always on the damn access road at Meadows too....:laugh: I think I was right behind you guys that day when it got all screwed up. I guess sand is in short supply....:dunno: I love how 26 and 35 are like gravel roads and that damn 1 mile to Meadows is a skating rink.
Yup i am sure it happens nearly every weekend actually...i actually found myself leaving like 30 minutes early so i would get to the mountain like 45 mins before first chair just so i could go up the road with no cars nearby and have to deal with the giant clusterfuck that ensues every time...
Half the problem are some really stupid employee's, my cars skidding with my rear end spinning sideways on the access road because they stopped us all and they shrug their shoulders at me before eventually pushing me...idiots..

#75 ·
I drive either a Volvo S40 FWD w/chains or a 2001 Toyota Tundra w/ 4wd. Never crashed

Haha my friend on the other hand took his like 1994 Toyota 4runner with w/ 4wd around a turn at 40 mph in chain control when the recommended speed for that turn was 30mph. You can assume what happened :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.