Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Kerosene as base cleaner... Do or don't?

9K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  poutanen 
#1 ·
I've heard a bunch of different views on using Kerosene as a base cleaner, but nothing definitive. Can someone please break down the pros and cons of using kerosene to clean your deck? Are there any ramifications to using it as opposed to an official "Base cleaner?" ...Aside from not handling it safely, getting proper ventilation etc. Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
First off, I do NOT base clean. Maybe I've just never had a dirty base?!?

Second, Kerosene is the suggested cleaner for motorcycle chains. It's strong enough to loosen gunk, but not so strong that it ruins rubber o-rings.

If I did have to clean, I'd be tempted to use dish soap and hot water first. My guess is only tree sap would be tougher than dish soap, and you could use almost anything for tree sap. Mineral spirits, alcohol, etc.

I still say though, what's all this fuss about base cleaning and hot scraping?!?

#9 ·
I'm with you Pout. Unless I rode over a giant dog shit and it impregnated its stink into my board ...........
Other than said shit, about the only other things that you would end up getting on your board base are cat / lift grease and tree / pine sap.

Both of these can be easily removed with a dedicated base cleaner used in a spot fashion. I would not suggest Kerosene. Rarely is there need to use a base cleaner on the entire base. Remember, base cleaners strip everything off your base, all wax included.

If you are waxing on a regular basis, then using a base cleaner takes you back to square one. If you feel compelled to clean your base then do a hot scrape and then apply a coat of universal or wax for the temp of the day.

#10 ·
I don't base clean or hot scrape, but when I was looking into it the general consensus I saw was to use any type of citrus-based household cleaner if you couldn't find actual base cleaner anywhere.

#16 ·
tognar has a citric only base cleaner that'll strip everything off your base (they also have a naptha version, but it's way overkill). I bought the small bottle ($10) of the citric cleaner and even it's enough to last about 3 lifetimes. Wouldn't touch kerosene or any of that other environmental nightmare crap.

#17 ·
Would you use Diesel or heating Oil to clean anything ? Kerosene is a bit more refined and dry then diesel. Do not use it as a cleaner.

Kerosene as a magical cleaner has to be one of the biggest myth. Anything from that's what firemen use to make their truck ruby red to makes stainless steel really shine.

Kerosene is great for jet engines.

#18 ·
Would you use Diesel or heating Oil to clean anything ? Kerosene is a bit more refined and dry then diesel. Do not use it as a cleaner.
Kerosene is specifically mentioned by Yamaha in sportbike manuals for cleaning the chain. It's just a petroleum distillate (like gas, diesel, etc.) and it'll dilute and therefore help remove other petroleum based products (like chain lube caked in dirt).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.