#1 ·
First-time poster looking for board/setup advice. Here’s my scoop:
  • Advanced level rider (22+ years)
  • Old, in trick years (35)
  • Skateboarder since before day 1
  • 6’1 ~185lbs
  • 11.5 Burton IONs
  • Midwest (MN) mostly hard-pack, weekend resort riding
  • Smaller park jumps, natural terrain/kickers/drops, etc, buttering, some rails/boxes

Currently I ride a 2010 K2 WWW 152 (w/ Formulas) and pretty much love it. I’m used to riding small (as small as 143) and playful boards. When I got back into riding more later in life I went up to a 158 directional (K2 Temptation) and thought it was too big and a little too rigid. As I rode mostly noodles when younger I went with the WWW after reading about reverse camber boards etc. I fell in love with the catch-free playfulness of the rocker profile. That said, I think the WWW is a little too soft and am looking for something with more pop, yet retains that faceplant saving action of the rocker board and would allow me to progress my riding. After some research I’ve come up with the following decks and am looking for something to sway me in the direction of one over the others (or maybe something I haven’t considered):

• Lib Tech TRS
  • K2 Fastplant
  • Capita Defenders of Awesome
  • Never Summer Proto HD

Looking for a more freestyle-oriented, true twin shape.

Thanks in advance.:bowdown:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice profile pic! :D

Have you looked into any of the board with length reduction "technology" in them? I prefer a much longer board. At 175 I find a 158 to be the bottom end of what I like, but I'm charging groomers, and then riding deeper powder and trees.

The Burton Nug comes to mind. The one designed for a 175 lb rider is a 150. There are other similar boards out there.

The idea with those boards is, the flex is designed for a larger rider than the length would suggest.

Unless you like riding noodles?!?

#3 ·
Thanks on the pic!

I checked into the Nug but wasn't all that impressed. I'm not looking for a really tiny board, necessarily, I'm even considering upping my present 152 to a 154 or so. I think the 152 is a little on the smaller side for buttering, etc. as I tend to max the stance out, leaving only a little nose and tail room. So many choices :dizzy:

#7 ·
Would you be opposed to mixing in some flat to your rocker profile? If you would be open to that, most of the K2 line and quite a few Capita boards open up as potential options.

Boards like the K2 Raygun and Hit machine come to mind for stiffer rocker boards. The Ride Machete would be a little different profile than the WWW but I think it will fit the bill. I've ridden the NS Evo and the Rome Hammerhead and I loved them both for flatland tricks and general buffoonery, those are just as soft as the WWW. But if you're looking for more pop and a bit more stability those are two good candidates for sure.

#8 ·
Def not opposed to the flat profile. I was leaning heavy towards the Capita DOA, just looking for more info/experience. Buffoonery/flatland are kinda my MO, with a few smaller hits sprinkled in for good measure. Not necessarily looking for more stability, as I am pop.

#9 · (Edited)
This may seem out of left field as it's not a well known board mnfr. but check BA's review of the Marhar Throwback on Angry Snowboarder. David_Z has a review on it as well @ agnarchy.com. Marhar is a local(ish) for MN, MI. company. They are supposed to have some pretty good boards. The few ppl I've met riding them, have all had good things to say about them.

I've been very interested in that board myself. I've been wanting to maybe get a full rocker board in my line up, but since I'm riding mostly groomed ice more than half the time, I was concerned about how it holds a line or washing out. According to the reviews, the Throwback is supposed to have some pretty wicked edge hold. Only got to ride Dave's for a short run or two but it definitely whetted my interest.

Btw, I understand that for like $25, they can put any of their graphics on any board you choose, so don't be dissuaded if you're not crazy about the "Hippie" graphics on the throwback. :D

#10 ·
Interesting review. It would def be something worth checking into, the only thing I would be concerned about is the weight issue. But adding your own graphics is pretty rad! I used to ride local (Duluth, MN) boards back in the day by Swill. They had so sidewall and we capped all the way around.

#11 ·
The bsod does have a 5mm taper the smallest size is 156. I wouldn't get to hung up on lenght. For your style I think stance width and tip/tail distance is more important. I have a 156 mod rocker with a 22 inch stance. It puts me right at the press sweet spot before the hot rods want to pop. I also have a 147 with a 20 inch stance and it doesn't want to hold the press at all.

#14 ·
I've been riding a last yrs Yes, The Greats 158 for my short board ( I ride longer boards mostly). This year their called the Asyms. Nice boards, true twins, good bases, got the camrock shape which is real nice. I bought that 158 to just dork around on and ended up riding it A LOT. I can easily put my Burton 11.5 boot on a 156 Greats cause I have: I bought my Grandson one!
The camrock is where its at for a shape on how I like to ride. Yes is a core company run by real snowboarders......

#16 ·
Check The Clymb web site, they have Yes snowboards on sale for really good prices on a fairly regular basis.

#22 ·
I don't think I've ever heard one bad thing about the DoA, but I've really never even seen one on the hill. I have heard they're a nice alternative to the Proto HD if you just can't stand the thought of buying Neversummer. If you can find a shop with one, talk to the shop guy and see if he can't talk you into one.

#23 ·
I have a 2012 TRS 157 and a 2013 NS Proto 157. I really like both boards. The Proto has been my daily board since the fall of 2011 (I had the 2012 CTX 158 first). It is an awesome board that does everything well. I still ride it every chance I get.

The TRS is something that I bought when I broke another board and needed something to ride. It was cheap because it is blem (top sheet printed backwards) and a demo board. I thought I would ride it a few times and keep it as my rock board. I was surprised by how much I love riding it. The board is light, very poppy and has fantastic edge hold. It is my new favorite board because it is just a bit stiffer than my Proto and has better edge hold. The Proto jumps better but everything else is pretty even between them.

#26 ·
Never summer gets a lot of love on here, and there has been backlash against that as all things go, and then there was a brouhaha over some review boards but fuck all of that. Just ignore it who cares.

When you're on the mountain riding with your buddies or family (or by yourself) and getting stoked, think you give a fuck what some board members think? Shit's not even real. It's all digital man!

#27 ·
Haha! Ok, thanks for the info. And good advice! No, I don't give a shit what forum posters think. I'd buy a board made by Microsoft if it was the best, baddest ride out there. I stopped caring about brands and their "undergroundness," "selloutness," willingness to have their products made in China, etc. a long time ago. If it shreds, I'm down.

I do though value the opinions of everybody on this forum thus far. Thanks for keeping me in the loop!:eusa_clap:

#28 ·
I'm currently riding a pickle used it as my one board quiver for 2 seasons now continuous rocker love it but once it gets broken in its more of a jib/park board so after a bunch of research I ordered a TRS just got to me today.

I see plenty of DOAs on the mountain my girl rides a Birds of a Feather pretty much female DOA and it rips. It's not the easiest to initiate a turn and may be a bit stiff for what you want. Plus the DOA is a hybrid camber board. You will not get that loose skatey feel from rocker but you will feel more stable and locked in.

I would check out the GNU Forest Bailey Space Case.

#29 ·
OK, I know this kind of question gets put through the wringer time and again, and with my time on the snow, I should know better by now, but here goes:
Say I wanted the Capita DOA, should I go with the 154 or 156 per my stats in the first post? :dunno:

My WWW is 152 now and I love the short lenth for spinning, etc. but they do say you size that board down 5 cm, so it rides like a 157.

Any advice?

Much thanks!:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.