Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Not all gore-tex is made equal?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Unowned

Default Not all gore-tex is made equal?

I was under the impression that apparel companies buy the gore-tex pro shell fabric from gore-tex themselves. How is it possible I've had varying success with different companies even tho the material should be similar?

Anyhoo, a few reviews

Oakley Sethmo pants - goretex proshell. These tore on the second day of wearing them, and I don't even know how as I never went through any trees or hit anything other than snow. My friend has the oakley unification pro proshell pants and the material on it is outrageously thin. I would stay away from anything Oakley makes that incorporates gore-tex proshell. I still have these own these pants as anything with holes or tears becomes more difficult to sell. Bought these for $100 off whiskeymilitia a few years back.

Oakley great ascent pants - goretex??? . These pants are advertised as goretex but the membrane feels like oakley's other stuff. It isn't terribly waterproof and its insulated. Regardless, its a nice, durable pant to say the least. Don't know what exactly about it is gore-tex. I bought these off hautelook for $80 bucks.

Burton AK-2L Stagger jacket - Piece of shit jacket. There's a lining on the front pocket that is causing abrasion against the gore-tex fabric thus cutting a hole into it. The lettering and logos arefalling off. For top of the line apparel, I expected more. I've had only ten days on these! I just sent them to Burton today for warranty. Bought off craigslist for $100

Burton AK-3L skid hi-top - amazing pants, I rode two seasons in these and nothing but slight abrasion wear.
Burton AK 3L Skid Hi-Top Pant - Men's - 09/10 | Backcountry.com
Bought these pants off sierrasnowboard back in the day for $140. Sold these pants cuz they were ugly but somewhat regret it.

Bottom line, I would only buy burton ak 3 layered stuff, otherwise just stick with normal burton gear.

Arc'teryx Scorpion jacket - goretex softshell. Of all the goretex apparel i've owned, this is by far the most durable. I've owned this for 5 seasons and continue wearing it to this day for both riding and climbing excursions - though it gets a little hot for the summers. I believe this jacket was replaced by either the Stingray or Sabre model. This jacket...was expensive - even when Arc'teryx is on sale its still very expensive.

Arc'teryx Beta AR - goretex proshell. I have not tested it as I bought this shell specifically for outdoor climbing and camping excursions. The material seems at least as durable as the burton 3L pants I had however, and definitely miles apart from the Oakley goretex stuff I've had.
Unowned is offline   Reply With Quote