Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboarding and the popularity rails
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
tokyo_dom

Default Snowboarding and the popularity rails

This is probably going to be a very unpopular opinion, but i am open to changing my mind, if someone can school me on this...

So many videos these days (especially park/trick videos) are all about rails/boardslides. And i see new boarders coming along and saying "I am comfortable on rails/boxes but need help with linking my toeside turns", as if the first thing they did after learning to leaf, was to start practicing railslides...

But why is it so popular?

For bombers and carving fans i see the attraction. Speed, G-forces, it feels great. Same for BC and powder hounds - floating sensation cant be beat. For me its jumps; flying through the air is an incredible rush, especially since i am actually fairly scared of heights. But what is it about rails that everybody is getting stoked on?

towards the end of last season, and this season, i have been trying to get into them, stomped some boardslides and 50-50s. Landed on my ass a lot, and made me realized that they are a lot more difficult than they look. But is that it? Is it because they are not easy to do? The ones where i didnt fall, gave me a slight rush of cheating death (or lost teeth), but there was no great type feel. Is that something that comes with the more difficult rails/kink style stuff?

So for rail and jib junkies, can you please help me understand the thrill of what you do?
tokyo_dom is offline   Reply With Quote