Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board suggestions for a tall girl with big feet?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
LenaBeana

Default Board suggestions for a tall girl with big feet?

Hey guys! I started snowboarding this season, I'm totally hooked, so now I'm ready to ditch the rental boards and get my own. I am 5'10", wear women's size 10 boots, and am ~190lbs right now (currently working my ass off to get to a healthy weight, started at 235, hoping to at least be down in the 170s by next season). I have been riding in a 149 Head rental board up to this point. Almost all of my riding will be done at Cataloochee, so I doubt this board will ever see much pow. I'm planning to mostly spend my time carving, maybe a little buttering, pretty sure I won't be doing any park.

I'm definitely open to any and all specific board suggestions, but I also have some questions about what I'm looking for in general in a used board. I'm planning on driving to Asheville this weekend to get some boots and look at used boards/bindings and want to be sure I know which features are a must, regardless of brand/model. Right now, I am linking turns pretty well, but I feel like I have to be reeeally careful with making sure the board goes flat in between switching edges to avoid catching an edge and busting my butt. I am hoping this is at least partially due to riding a beat up camber rental board? Will a rocker board make my life easier, or will it be too hard to hold an edge in the slushy/icy/lumpy conditions that I'm gonna be dealing with a lot in NC? What about the boards that are flat in the middle and rockered at the tips, are these a good compromise?

Also, as far as used boards, how old is too old? Has a board from 2008 probably already had it, or could I get a few more years out of it? Am I better off buying an old board that's a nicer brand/model, or a brand new cheaper brand board?

Thanks for the help guys!
LenaBeana is offline   Reply With Quote