Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Yet another broke noob trying to buy some gear
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
rpadc

Default Yet another broke noob trying to buy some gear

Hello folks. Sorry to clutter up the forum with another noob thread. I considered tacking my questions on to an existing one but wasn't sure about that either.

So I'm a noob. Getting a late start as I'm also approaching 40. Never skiied before boarding. Been out on five boarding trips so far, two with amazing powder, and now I'm addicted. Even one terrible icy day with some bad crashes didn't deter me.

Season's almost over but I want to get back out one or two more times. Realizing that the rental math isn't adding up and considering buying gear.

Looking at eBay and Craigslist because I can't afford new, even with end of winter deals.

Stats: 5'9", 190-195lbs, size 9.5 shoe. No interest in the park. See myself becoming more of an all-mountain, carving type rider. Maybe even back country some day. Might try butters and presses and the like when I get my skills up, but no big jumps and flips. I can link turns now, although my technique needs tightening. I've had a couple lessons.

Nowhere around here to try on boots before purchase, which I gather is a big no-no, as boots are most crucial part of your setup. Considering a drive out to shops within 40 miles to try on boots, otherwise, hawking a bunch of eBay auctions.

Rental boards have all been 155cm true twin so far, to ease the learning curve. Thinking I should ride 155 - 160 range, regular camber. Would like to ride switch even though I'm not into freestyle. Maybe directional twin?

Help from the more knowledgeable?

Am I on the right track with these?

Used Burton Clash Snowboard with Medium Custom Bindings 155cm 21681 | eBay

Ride Snowboard 156 Cm | eBay

K2 Darkstar 157 cm Snowboard with Drake Bindings Very Nice | eBay
rpadc is offline   Reply With Quote