Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Anyone use any of the Boston ski busses?

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  kevano 
#1 ·
Just curious for any feedback. Considering taking one up to Jay Peak on Saturday, but I don't know anything about them. And I'd have to leave my house mad early.

#3 ·
No it's thru nacski. I know it's a hell of a day trip. I'd never do it driving myself, that's why the bus has me interested. Only problem is I'd have to leave my house before 4am and I'm having trouble deciding if it's worth it. I may just drive somewhere closer instead.

#4 ·
I don't live in that area, but I've done a similar thing here. Leave home at 4 or 5 am, 4h ride, 8h on the mountain, 4h ride back. I actually enjoyed it. You can sleep on the bus and it's nice not having to drive yourself for a change. It feels like a mini vacation.

#5 ·
I would never try Jay as a day trip. Too damned long, and you're trusting that the bus driver actually takes a nap while you're riding. You're talking about ten hours of road time...that's crazy! The CT Ski Council does these bus trips all the time, but usually just to Southern Vermont mountains. I've never taken one, but friends tell me lots of people are already hitting the Bloody Mary's and partying it up at 6:00 am. Good on them, but I'm not gonna be trapped on a bus with them for five hours!

We're driving up to Jay Peak (actually, Sutton, Quebec) on Wednesday. If we leave at 4:00 am, we'll still get a 1/2 lift ticket for that day included with our room. It also includes two full day tix, and Jay Peak tix...for $100/person per day PLUS it includes breakfast and dinner each day. I'd much rather do that than risk my life to some old tour bus driver. But that's just me.

#6 ·
Well thats certainly an interesting take. Don't think I really question the safety of riding the bus, but it is a damn long day. And I don't know if I'd actually be able to sleep on the bus, which would make it even worse. I've just always wanted to hit jay, and the fiancé doesn't ride/ski but is ok with taking trips as long as there's something to do near the mountain which jay seems to lack. Hmmm.

#7 ·
Actually, your fiancé would love the "new" Jay Peak, even if she doesn't ski/ride. It's a major resort now, not the old stucco'd motel it used to be. A few nice bars/restaurants, and a great water park (Travel Channel featured it as #8 on their "Extreme Water Parks" show). There is a skating rink and a spa, too. True, there is virtually nothing to do in the town of Troy, but she could even drive up to Sutton, Quebec (nice shopping/dining village) and be back by the time you are off the mountain. Rooms at Jay are all brand new and very nice, and there are some decent late-season deals. I just can't image sitting five hours on a bus, riding all day, then having to get back on that damned bus…when there is a water park (with a bar!) waiting at the end of the slopes!

#9 ·
Jay is not much further than Sunday River from the Boston area (3.5 hrs). I'd do that for a bus trip.

I haven't done bus trips around here, but I did when I lived in CT growing up (Meriden Ski Club). The bus usually left at 6am sharp. I would sleep on the way up and a lot of times on the way back. The back of the bus was usually pretty drink-heavy on the way back as well.

I'd recommend it. Those long day-trips are killer when you're driving home. The bus eliminates that issue.

#13 · (Edited)
I am a also a Meriden Ski Club member. Never taken one of the bus trips because I hear so many stories, and also because I just like being on my own schedule. Anyway, good advice -- if you only have one day, why not just put in some earphones, fall asleep for awhile and have a great day riding. Season is indeed ending. If it's a good deal, go for it. Jay is phenomenal…except for when it's not!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.