Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Aspiring Instructor: Ski school?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eat Sleep Shred

Default Aspiring Instructor: Ski school?

I could use some advice on whether or not you full time instructors see any value in going to a dedicated ski school to get certifications. I have a few options for getting certifications and they range from 1 to 3 months for level 1 to level 2 certs respectively with some extra certs added in such as freestyle training and backcountry safety. Programs will cost $5000 to $15000, depending on the number of certifications I sign up for. That covers the training, living space and slope access.

My other option would just be to continue progression on my own, taking lessons off and on to get coaching and taking exams for certifications on my own. I can ride confidently on most terrain in most conditions. Chutes are still pretty scary and my freestyle trick bag is a little lackluster. Avalanche and backcountry stuff would still need to be acquired from a professional instructor. Getting mentoring from other instructors on movement analysis and drills would not be much an issue.

The kicker is, if you went to ski school at all... What certs did you go for? Was it worth the money education wise? Would you recommend any programs?

If you didn't go to ski school... What certs did you get on your own and how long did it take you to get them? Did you do it part time with another job or postgraduate program? Would you have opted to go to a ski school instead?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you have.

Last edited by Eat Sleep Shred; 03-15-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote