Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

"Ski resort security threatens to kill skier"

7K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  GnuBie 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT Sorry for confusion, this isn't my video, I just found it and thought I'd share
This is the info from his video
"Me and my friends were skiing at our local resort about a week ago and one of my friends forgot his coat at home therefore forgot his season pass that was on his coat. instead of looking up his name and giving him a temporary pass they brought us to security. he gave him the option to buy two day passes and rip one up, or call the police and press charges for "theft of services" despite the fact that he has a season pass on file. when the security started getting excessively rude i started recording on my phone but left it in my pocket so THERE IS NO VIDEO JUST Audio. in the end of the video the security says that if he ever sees him in the security office again he will "hunt him down and kill him""

#2 ·
Holy shit, that is too funny!!:laugh::laugh:

I'd be sure not to break any resort rules just so I don't have to be lectured to by some ******* dullard like this guy.

Oooooh, that $66 charge is so inconsequential that resort security has to increase the threat to DEATH!! :laugh::eusa_clap:

#4 ·
It sounds like he sized you up as a punk little bitch that needed a scare. Of course, I have no idea whether that was true, but in years gone by a good little scare would have been SOP.

Also, in some states (mine included) audio recording someone without their permission is a crime.

#5 ·
Question, honesty over the internet needed here: Why were you dragged into the SP office? Truly because you forgot your pass or you don't have one? You need to post more honest details here.
That said.

Whether it's a crime or not, even if the ski patrol had a bad day and the kid (you) is an asshat punk. I'm in CS and I could never talk to someone like that. That is so uncalled for !!! I have bad days and get over worked. Our resort has called the sheriff to ticket guys who ride without passes, it's called theft!

Personally, of course years of wisdom here, and I will say upfront.
** I was that smart ass punk that needed sitting down. ** When/if my dad found out I was set straight, some of you know what I mean, but that guy is not my dad.
If I were you and you truly have a Pass. Sorry, but I would take your pass into the office. Show the video, and let them bring in the SP person. If you were causing problems admit them, apologize and say but this was totally uncalled for.

Again, years of wisdom and I did my fair share of shit. I hate this type of attitude and if he talked to you like this I can say 100% that this guy has done it to others. Never justified no matter what kinda day he had.

#9 ·
... I would take your pass into the office. Show the video ...
Or maybe not.

OP, I did a quick google search for you. Here are the results. Telephone recording laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't be fooled by the label "telephone recording calls" because the relevant CA statute (I'm only assuming CA from your intro post) covers other "confidential" communications.

I don't know all the facts and circumstances and I am not an attorney in CA and I AM NOT GIVING YOU LEGAL ADVICE, but before you go do something really stupid (and by this I mean more stupid than the first thing you did to end up in that office and more stupid than possibly posting evidence of a crime on YouTube), perhaps you should bone up on the law in CA about audio recording people.

I don't mean to imply I disagree with Slyder. I understand his point and his concern, but there are times to just admit what you did was wrong and walk away. Lesson learned. Ultimately you aren't responsible for and can't control that guy's behavior, but you can control and are responsible for your own.

#10 ·
Or maybe not.

OP, I did a quick google search for you. Here are the results. Telephone recording laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't be fooled by the label "telephone recording calls" because the relevant CA statute (I'm only assuming CA from your intro post) covers other "confidential" communications.

I don't know all the facts and circumstances and I am not an attorney in CA and I AM NOT GIVING YOU LEGAL ADVICE, but before you go do something really stupid (and by this I mean more stupid than the first thing you did to end up in that office and more stupid than possibly posting evidence of a crime on YouTube), perhaps you should bone up on the law in CA about audio recording people.

I don't mean to imply I disagree with Slyder. I understand his point and his concern, but there are times to just admit what you did was wrong and walk away. Lesson learned. Ultimately you aren't responsible for and can't control that guy's behavior, but you can control and are responsible for your own.
the lesson hasn't been learned here until the person making death threats because he figures he can get away with it is put in handcuffs.

#7 ·
fuck that dude PERIOD. get his ass fired, if they won't fire him get him arrested and publicize it and force them to fire him publicly. pretty sure its a felony to threaten to "hunt down and kill" someone. i'm 100% its a crime.... if you or the person in the video lets this just slide you're a fool.

what resort was this?

#14 ·
the kid in the video didn't "make trouble and cry foul" - he went snowboarding for fucks sake.

people who are so angry and shitty that they threaten to kill people at their job at a ski resort should not be working there.

of course, arresting a guy is the prerogative of the DA's office but the main point is to make sure this old asshole loses his job. enter youtube, facebook, and all the other ways the internet will fuck up your life and business - which is fine by me... apparently the OP is too pussy to name the resort.

i fucking wish this dickhole had threatened me like that.. i'm sure he only did it because it was a younger kid.

#15 ·
not having named the guy and the resort yet was smart. thats the leverage, the ace-in-the-hole. now the thing is to bring it to the attention of the mountain admin and see what they do, watch em squirm, see what happens. nothing a mountain hates more than bad publicity or the threat thereof

#22 · (Edited)
I recognized that office solely by the carpet and the front counter and shot a message to their marketing heads that I know. It's being dealt with appropriately.

For what it's worth the kid is a repeat offender.

For everybody lecturing OP, I'm pretty sure it's not his video and it doesn't sound like it's from California either.
It's not CA.

Is the guy an asshat? Yes. Is he on a power trip? Certainly.

#19 ·
We have a similar issue with recordings in the UK... While it is not illegal to record, it is NOT admissible in court unless both parties agree that there consent was given...

I had this issue with an Employment Court Case, i had a recording, made by someone else, and so needed it to be played in court, but couldn't legally get it admitted...

The answer was very simple, i asked (no legal representation), if on a certain date, did a conversation take place regarding me, the conversation being between my line manager and another employee, the conversation being that my manager called me a wanker and a fucking idiot that was going to get his...

Anyway, the question was asked, the answer was, NO i have have never had a conversation about you with another employee...

I simply asked the judge how i made a complaint of perjury, the judge was very adamant that this was a serious offence, and i needed to be able to back it up, i said of course, i had an audio recording that p[roved the perjury...

Tape admitted, manager sacked...!!!

There are ways around any law with the right thinking... ;)

#21 ·
Luckboxing makes a good point and I'm sorry to the OP if this was just some random post on YouTube. I knew the accent did not sound Californian, but people move around!

I also listened to it again and I do want to acknowledge that the kid was more respectful than I initially thought. I heard him laughing at the SP and thought he was being ruder - he did appear to be contrite and apologetic. The majority of my feelings and posts about this situation were premised on the kid being less respectful, so I'm sorry for missing that point.

I don't know if that fact would change my own course of action now, but absent more information it does put the SP in an even worse light.

#23 ·
Yeah, sorry for the confusion guys. This isn't my video. I was just sharing it.
Video doesn't tell much from the skier's side. Not sure if he did anything else besides forget his season pass. Maybe he tried sneaking on to the lifts somehow and got caught. But apparently, he just forgot his pass, and security went off on him.

This is the info from the video
"Me and my friends were skiing at our local resort about a week ago and one of my friends forgot his coat at home therefore forgot his season pass that was on his coat. instead of looking up his name and giving him a temporary pass they brought us to security. he gave him the option to buy two day passes and rip one up, or call the police and press charges for "theft of services" despite the fact that he has a season pass on file. when the security started getting excessively rude i started recording on my phone but left it in my pocket so THERE IS NO VIDEO JUST Audio. in the end of the video the security says that if he ever sees him in the security office again he will "hunt him down and kill him""

#24 ·
Yeah, sorry for the confusion guys. This isn't my video. I was just sharing it.

Video doesn't tell much from the skier's side. Not sure if he did anything else besides forget his season pass. Maybe he tried sneaking on to the lifts somehow and got caught. But apparently, he just forgot his pass, and security went off on him.

This is the info from the video

Still doesn't add up. If someone forgets their season pass, you don't just go into the lift hoping no one notices

There's actually policy no one reads. It usually entails going to the ticket counter or customer service which then they can look up the pass holder info and give them a new pass for a small nominal fee.

Security don't get pissed unless you give them a bad attitude. It's like getting pulled over by cops on the road

#47 · (Edited)
what do you meant by repeat offender? he often forgets his pass? or he just doesn't have a pass at all?

I think repeating forget about his pass is OK. I often forget about things. that's no warrant for a death threat.

If he doesn't have a pass, then I can understand some anger of the security. otherwise, I want to make sure I don't go to that resort.

#46 ·
No matter how much of a douchebag that customer is, the employee has to remain professional, be above the situation and not make it personal...especially if its security. Saying you're gonna kill someone like this is a serious matter.

I've met people with the type of attitude that security guy has, and they can be real assholes. Regardless of what the young punk did and I am not defending him, the professional in this situation has to remain professional, otherwise he's just as bad or worse than the clown who forgot his pass.

Also, its very true that if he had been dealing with someone older I bet he would of acted differently. Its a power trip, and a dick move on his part. He picked on a weaker human being, someone older would of put him in his place.

#49 ·
You guys need to duct tape them things to your boots r sumpthin! ;) :laugh:

#60 ·
Sounds to me like he had a pass, forgot it, decided he would just ride all day without it because he didn't want to go into the office & get a temp for whatever reason. He got caught, they assumed he was a dishonest punk trying to scam a day without buying a lift ticket & overreacted.

On a side note The security guard sounds exactly like lieutenant dangle.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.