Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Big White & Silverstar/ Kelowna
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Frankhead

both silverstar and big white attract trees all the way to the summit, snow ghosts.

Some of the best tree runs I've had have been at big white. The Black Forest chair is a good one for intermediate tree runs and offers a lot of untouched snow. Also check out gem lake chair lift on the far side of the resort. This opens up about a third of the whole resort area! when in was constructed a few years back it was the longest chair in north america. it goes down 300m below the village so snow cover can take a while for the lift to be open, in true big white style, the lift lines are almost always pleasant, minus school holidays. the warming hut at the bottom is pretty cute too (i used to work there).

Silverstar as a rule has more skiers, more moguls and steeper terrain, its further from kelowna than BW.

However, one of Australia's best pro-riders, Robbie Walker said in a magazine interview that silverstar was his top resort out of everywhere!

If I were you, I'd live in Big White, and work there. Waking up with fresh snow out your window.. why wouldn't you? Theres a backpackers called samesun on the hill. Most people stay there until they work out their accom and a job. working in canada.. waitressing is a good one. Tips! Most other jobs will give you 10-12 dollars an hour. Waiters pull in some heavy coin because of the tipping culture.

if you can, get a car and drive to Silverstar to check it out. well worth it.

Banff aint bad, lovely surrounding, you can't stay on the hill though in most resorts.