Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - steep chutes and big mountain lines
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
twowheeled

Default steep chutes and big mountain lines

Me and my buddies rode fernie this weekend. I would consider us all advanced riders. We can ride just about every run we come across pretty confidently, or so we thought. Ski patrol opened up the currie headwall and we decided to hike up to check it out. Anyways long story short, both my buddies chickened out after peering over the edge. I did a couple of very sloppy runs, heel siding a lot and tumbling a few times.

It sure knocked our egos down a few notches watching some really good skiers gapping 30 ft cliffs like it was nothing... these guys were hitting the big gnarly lines, they were going so big it was like pro filming quality.

So how do I step up my riding to this level? When I was riding down I noticed that I couldn't smear like most steep runs. It was way too steep and once I lifted my back foot even a bit, I lost the edge and got a ton of speed. Watching the skiers, none of them smeared at all either. They stopped to scope a line, or traversed, or sidestepped to line themselves up. But once they started going, they straight lined or layed long straight carves. I'm thinking this is the only way to ride stuff this big?

twowheeled is offline   Reply With Quote