Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Stevens Pass 2014
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Getting pitted was a fairly common occurrence on this trip.

Wrath playing around.

Last set of photos was from the slide day. A few runs before it happened.

Shortly after that last shot is when it happened. My buddy Steve (skier) kicked off a small slide and didn't see it fracture as he had skied ahead of it. It caught up and swept him off of his skis and swept him two or three hundred feet. I heard his airbag go off and knew we had a problem. I proceeded down the slide path and found him fairly quickly. Probably not enough debris to bury. It didn't even occur to me to turn my beacon on due to the lack of debris. The sparse trees were more of a worry as getting wrapped around one of those would be bad. Luckily he had missed the ones he was carried by and stopped just before a stand of trees. Not so lucky was the knee. Ale and myself had to boot pack down the remaining 1,800 vertical or so to the forest service road below the highway. Steve was able to slide down our trench. Once down, we were able to get Steve on Ale's split skis and he could skin out on the fairly flat road. It is a 2+ mile skin and Ale had to boot out while I broke trail. In all a very tiring experience and a few lessons learned. Really can't wait to go out next year.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote