Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Introduce yourself
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #2404 (permalink)
Ashcampbell

Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly new snowboarder. I rode 1 day with a group lesson at Terry Peak near Lead, SD in 2013 and for 1.5 days no lesson in march of 2014. I have 4 or 5 days under my belt at a place outside of Omaha, NE called Mt. Crescent. I got a 2hr private lesson there.

I'm a fragile old fart 35. I wear knee pads, wrist guards and huge ice fishing mittens to go over them, helmet, and a tailbone\hip\thigh protective shorts. (Mainly for the tailbone protection). I have to buy XXL pants because XL dont fit with the butt pads on.

I have K2 boots size 10, House branded bindings and a House (re-branded?) 24\7 board its either a 159 or 161. I picked it up off CL for $100. Its paid for itself on gear rental fees. I caught my toe edge and did some face first flying a few times and done some damage to the nose of the board. I think its called de-lam? I also have a slice in the board where I can see fibers. I think I can fix it with some ptex if I cant find a reasonable priced shop to do it as well as a tune-up for next year.

The board is a 4 screw setup. I'm looking at new bindings and boots for this winter. I'm really eyeing the flow step-in bindings.

As to my skill...I'm strong heel side. I ride left foot forward and normally have a 0\0 stance. My in-law suggested +15\0 for ease of toe side turning. I only rode a half day like that and tweeked my left knee. Not sure if it was the stance or one of my more epic crashes...hello toe edge, head-over-heels, helmet hits the hill, good times. I didnt get a chance to try it at Mt. Crescent for a baseline feel.

In order for me to link turns I have to slow down to fairly slow speeds and parallel to the base of the run. When I'm on my toe side I tend to angle downhill and never really face up the hill. Thats something I'm working on.

I also need to work on my stance. When I'm going for speed I find myself hunching over and resting my left elbow on my knee. Maybe I need to look into the width of my stance more?

Snowboarding has bitten into me hard and I'm loving it. I dont like being outside but snowboarding has changed that for me and my old ass needs the exercise. I'm looking forward to reading and viewing any tips and tricks from you guys. I'm also looking forward to making myself a better snowboarder in the process.
Ashcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote