Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Going to a Park for the First Time; Any Pointers?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyBlue View Post
Right, so I'm feeling comfortable enough to go to a park for the first time--I've been using an ordinary, local hill so far--this Saturday. Before I head out, though, I was wondering if you guys could give a snowboarding noob some pointers for their first park experience.

I'm still working on stopping properly, which pretty much means coming to a complete stop without any part of my body touching the powder - my go-to move to stop is simply wiping out

Turning is "okay," I suppose: I'm not in complete control of where I want to go, but I can generally point my nose in the right direction.

Kinda nervous about the lift because I have never ridden one. (Huh... I've jumped out of a perfectly-good airplane but haven't ridden a chair lift )

Thanks for the help, everyone. It means a lot!
Honestly my suggestion is just watch other riders and get a feel for it. Learn basic park manners (don't stand in landings, don't cut off other riders etc).

Oh and definitely know that if it's a beginner park, there will be a lot of people doing things wrong (eg - a lot of people will be dropping in too low to even clear half the jumps and boxes, this is very common in beginner level parks), so don't just blindly follow what everyone else is doing.

To me it sounds like you're not ready to hit park yet (if you're still scared of chairlifts, working on stopping still and don't have turns mastered, then you simply aren't ready for park), but there's no reason you can't ride through, not hit anything and just check out the park and get more used to what the features are and how they work (but make sure you don't get in the way or run into landing zones/cut people off).

Park isn't something to be scared of doing, it's just one of the next steps in progression after you've got got the basics mastered and want to step things up a little.

Last edited by Jed; 03-27-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote