Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Proto HDX or Custom Flying V - too much board for a learner?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Danger

Default Proto HDX or Custom Flying V - too much board for a learner?

I grew up ski racing, and after I stopped competing I got really bored with it and basically never went anymore.

So last season I bought a 10,000 year old Simms off craigslist, and started to learn how to ride with the help of one of my snowboard instructor buddies. I've been loving it! I'm picking it up pretty quickly, groomers are no problem (usually) and I'm working on getting through moguls and trees without killing myself. I fall a lot, which is fine with me, I enjoy learning every time I go up. I'll probably not do too much in the park, but I'm learning there too. It's fair to say I'm not the best rider in the world, but now its definitely time for a real board.

I'm 6'4, 215lbs. My boots are 11.5 Vans V66. I live in Colorado, so I need something that can handle any conditions, as we get changing conditions every day (or hour) from ice to powder. I'll also only have one board (for now).

I don't know much about snowboards, other that now is probably the time to buy them. After doing some research, I'm thinking an all mountain board like the NS Proto HDX (Made in CO) or Burton Custom Flying V would work for me. Is that going to be too much board for me to handle? They seem to be geared toward more advanced riders, but I also want something I can 'grow in to.'

Thoughts? Other boards to consider? I appreciate any input at all! Thanks!
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote