Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Proto HDX or Custom Flying V - too much board for a learner?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
dreampow
Veteran Member

I would say consider the 163 HDX as well at your weight, I ride a 157 regular Proto HD at 170lbs and if I had 45lbs more I would want quite a bit more board.

The 160 will work fine too but if you want to ride groomers at a fair speed and some pow the 163 will perform better.

160 a little more playful and easier to throw around, the 163 a little more stable a little more float and a little more board to support your weight so it won't feel too soft.

Any board will feel much softer the bigger you are.

Its personal preference, but I like the flex in the proto at my weight on the 157. If I were on a shorter deck or weighed more it would be too soft for more technical riding (proper carving at speed, steeper terrain with trees etc).

You might not need those capabilities now, but this board could easily last you quite a few seasons, they are solidly built.

If you have reduced footprint boots you should be OK with a regular width 160. It will be tight though.

Don't worry its not a difficult board to ride, may take some adjusting but you will be fine.

Last edited by dreampow; 04-02-2014 at 05:39 PM.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote