Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Base drying out...permanent damage?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
onitsukatiger

Default Base drying out...permanent damage?

So, I just bought a Jones MT 160 (2013-2014) recently, and I noticed its got "white" paper-thin streaks down the base of the board (lengthwise). I deduced this to be the base drying up. I'll have time within the next week to wax it up so I'll be doing that.

I was just curious if there is any permanent damage to the base. I've attached pictures to show how many white dashed lines there are, but I don't know whether that's serious or not.

I figure that it should be back to normal with a thick coat of wax for summer, because otherwise, boards being sold couldn't have more than a year/season shelf life in the shop (and that shelf life includes the time from production to shop shelf - in which the production date of the board could be several weeks from shipment, and distribution etc.), which probably isn't the case.

I am an advanced-expert rider, but this is my first snowboard I have owned. Previously I have only been able to do demo rentals. So I just want to learn more about taking care of my gear. I have read this informative thread http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-repair.html.

However, he has one line "They say they wax a snowboard at the factory... but it's half assed at best. Not waxing it will quickly result in damage, ESPESCIALLY if it's a high quality base."

And that worries me, which is why I started this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140406_174717.jpg (62.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140406_174707.jpg (31.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140406_174656.jpg (74.2 KB, 106 views)
onitsukatiger is offline   Reply With Quote