Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Binding width setup question

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  td.1000 
#1 ·
Setting up my first board and have a stupid question.

I measured my stance width to be about 19" - 20" which agrees with most standard advice for my height I've found online. But when placing my bindings at the inside or innermost holes on the board, it still measures about 21.5" from the center of the bindings.

Is this the narrowest it can go? Seems like I'm overlooking something. Any ideas?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#3 ·
I wouldn't panic if that is the widest stance you can get. What level riding are you? Have you tried standing in the board with that stance? Does it feel too wide? Its all about personal preference, I ride narrower than I should for my height, its just what I am comfortable with.

#4 · (Edited)
Hmm. I have a Gnu Carbon Credit 153 which has a weight range of 100 - 180+. I'm right in the middle at 145. I'm short, but not that short at 5' 4". The min stance says 20.25". Am I that far off from this board's intended rider?

I'm a beginner rider with no preferences yet. But this is my board for now so I'm gonna have to make it work with the narrowest setup I can get.

I tried turning the binding disc 90 degrees to get side to side adjustment but I don't think it can be installed this way. Can all binding discs do this? If so, this would help. EDIT: Just found out that these can't. Oh well.

#6 · (Edited)
Setting up my first board and have a stupid question.

I measured my stance width to be about 19" - 20" which agrees with most standard advice for my height I've found online. But when placing my bindings at the inside or innermost holes on the board, it still measures about 21.5" from the center of the bindings.

Is this the narrowest it can go? Seems like I'm overlooking something. Any ideas?
Yep, you're overlooking then most important thing: stand on it and see how it feels.

Measuring, standard online advice, anything done with a calculator.... mean nothing until you strap in and stand on your board.

So try that first and foremost. If you feel you're standing to straight/stiff, the stance may be too narrow. If you feel you're doing a van damme split... your stance is too wide. Most of the people i see struggling on the hill have a stance that's too narrow......

#7 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. Gives me some perspective on things.

F1EA, thanks for reminding me of that. I did try strapping in and it felt natural in the closest width I could get to what I was shooting for. I'm gonna go with this for now and adjust if I need to.

#8 ·
No prob! but yea try it on your living room carpet with your boots on. See your range of motion... you should feel stable and athletic but comfortable. Then, if you need to adjust anything after actual riding... just do it. Maybe ask the instuctors or the rental shop's setup guys; they can help you out too.

Now go ride! it's awesome :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.