Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Feeling stupid...wanna kick myself...

3K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Deacon 
#1 ·
I still can't believe how I ended up hurting my head.

When riding the lift above a sealed off ravine trail, I saw a black band on the snow and thought it possibly was the binding strap/pad I lost awhile ago. I just came back from the Service counter asking if they picked up my lost thing without the luck. then I saw someone run down the trail, if someone can do it, I can too! what the heck I will check the thing out to see if it was my strap/pad.

so I started to run the trail, and people above on the lift yelled at me and I just told them I lost my stuff. anyhow, I got to the black thing and found out it was actually a black goggle half buried.

so I started to run down the trail then I hit the small bumps but strangely my ski got accelerate so fast, then I saw a hole with water the size of driving wheel.shit, I quickly turn left, but then my ski(I snowboarded for a few hours earlier and then changed to ski) still kept accelerating, the ravine was very narrow. shit I didn't know how slow down! ok just ride it fast and off the trail, because I was almost at the end of that trail. the next thing I know, I banged my head very hard on some solid object.

damn! I guess the snow was just a thin crust covered up the stream running underneath. so it couldn't stand my weight.

I started to have some mild headache and pain on my head and neck at night. I was really scare last night. I went to see the doctor just in case, and was told not to worry for now, unless some symptom develop later then I should just go straight to hospital.

I am basically now just pissed at myself. how come I didn't see the hole when I was on the lift? how come I didn't manage to slow down? so melting snow could accelerate the ski and make it lose control? (yes, damn the weather here, the day before there were snowflake here and there and then the next day was around 10 Celsius already. )

Do you think you could make the same mistake as me? How could I have done differently?

This season was tons of fun for me. then I ended on a bad note on the last day of the season. :(:(

is it stupidity or just accidents do happen?

Any sympathy and consolation from fellow snowboarder/skier?

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
OK...I shouldn't look for my snowboard binding strap/pad using my ski then? bad karma? they repel each other?:dunno:

think I could avoid the accident if I was on my snowboard? snowboard is better at dealing with melting snow?

guess I was too desperate to find my original binding strap...the buckle was golden and shining, looks regal. I blame Rome too, sent me a replacement that's thin and plain, nothing like the original and so mismatch with the rest of my binding:(

#8 ·
OK...I shouldn't look for my snowboard binding strap/pad using my ski then? bad karma? they repel each other?:dunno:

think I could avoid the accident if I was on my snowboard? snowboard is better at dealing with melting snow?
don't know about any of that, just know you'd get a lot more sympathy around here if you'd been on a board. :D

#16 ·
I did. I thought it's mandatory, especially for an avid skier/border? so I didn't explain...the only people I see in my hill not wearing a helmet are the first timers who doesn't have a goggle and wearing jean.

otherwise, I will be really crying not here blogging...I am an adult who depends on my brain to earn $

#18 · (Edited)
Well then by your logic when either binding strap is off the opposite side of the ladder side on the toe strap would not be connected to your binding
How does the strap keep your boot locked if it's not connected to the binding
Maybe you should figure out how your equipment works

#20 ·
oh, man...what's your problem? looks like you are the one whose head got hit.

do you keep your boot locked all the time? while riding the lift? in fact, that's one of the reason I also like skiing. I don't have to strap in and out of the binding. I can just go after getting off the lift, while snowboarders have to sit down and attach their binding again. I like the sensation of rocking a board left and right though.

#25 ·
that's one of the reason I also like skiing. I don't have to strap in and out of the binding. I can just go after getting off the lift, while snowboarders have to sit down and attach their binding again. I like the sensation of rocking a board left and right though.[/QUOTE]

Okay,i ski too(with my grandsons) but i do not use poles, so i do not have to stop and put my pole strap back on to ski. Snowboarders that sit down to strap their bindings has about the same amount of time skiers put their shit on and start pointing where they want to go:dunno:

#33 ·
moral of the story: don't waterski on a frozen creek that isn't frozen while wearing alpine skis while looking for a piece of your snowboard binding unless you want a headache and free goggles. and don't tell snowboarders you were on skis unless you want to be mocked. nbd. :dunno::D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.