Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Avalanche Reporting
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
lab49232

Default Avalanche Reporting

Had an amazing warm slush day on Mt Hood today, mid 50's and bluebird after solid recent but super wet snow (up to 9" but with 2.5" of water content!). That being said they had their gated terrain open in Heather Canyon open all the way to A-Zone which was a first in a few days. For those who haven't ridden there it's the second to third highest entry point in what can be some pretty intense slopes.

Well obviously it's the first thing I wanted to hit so I made my way over, got through the gate and to my favorite drop in spot when I realized it looked way steeper than it should. I then started observing the ridge and saw a nice clean break about 8-9" deep (guessing purely by eye) that ran the entire face of this particular entry point. It was by no means a devastating slide, the runout was short and led to pretty safe mellow terrain, and probably ran no risk of injury based on what I saw unless it caught you perfectly wrong. That being said there has been no report of it despite me witnessing a professional photographer documenting it. I figured info would come out later but instead this is what I read on NWAC "Clearing Sunday night allowed a supportable melt-freeze crust to form around Mt. Hood Meadows Monday morning, but the surface snow quickly softened later Monday with sunshine and with NWAC stations on Mt. Hood warming near or into the 50s. Meadows pro patrol reported softening snow, but had not observed any new avalanche activity as of Monday afternoon. " Well It was a pretty obvious slide and I saw it at 11. I guess it could have been a day old, two at most but saw nothing then either.

Do resorts and reports get to pick and choose if a slide was big enough to report? I haven't had enough experience with this having spent the majority of my time in the East but was a surprise to me. For all I know this could be normal procedure here Other than that great, sunny day, at least until I apparently covered my base in tree sap while riding glades and took a nice solid fall when my board instantly grabbed and stopped. Try scraping sap off your board in the middle of the woods, not fun!
lab49232 is offline   Reply With Quote