Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board length vs Effective edge length
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
blooh

Default Board length vs Effective edge length

Wiredsport,
I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain on this topic as you seem very knowledgeable and I am in the market for a new board.

I'm a 36 year old female, 5'2", 120-125 lbs, goofy foot, wide stance (21" from center to center binding, +9/-9), 4th season snowboarding.

4 years ago I started out on a Burton Secret 145 cm, camber. I could carve and link turns but never felt completely comfortable on it. Shorty after, my husband bought me the Rome Lo-fi rocker 146cm. It was so easy to ride and definitely boosted my confidence. Last year I began going off small ledges and small jumps off natural terrain. I figured I would buy a new board with more stability at higher speeds and help me progress. Last year I bought the GNU Ladies Choice in a 148.5. I rode it the entire season and at the end of the season tried to sell it. Something is just off with that board...and it's probably me! It feels so big, stiff, heavy, and not easily maneuverable. I can barely do presses and this is coming from someone who runs 20 miles a week and lifts weights and is very coordinated. It would be find if I just wanted to carve but I am looking for a board that will do everything. I mostly ride all mountain but like to go through the park a few times during a day...maybe all mountain freestyle? This year I've been going off the smaller jumps in the park and boxes.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am wondering medium flex boards are more like stiffer boards for lighter riders like myself.

So finally, my question. I am looking at the Never Summer Onyx in a 143cm (camber/rocker/camber just like my GNU but with a flex of 3 instead of a 5 as the GNU has). It has the same effective edge as my 148.5cm GNU Ladies Choice. Will the Never summer feel too big as well? I'm not sure what size board to get but know that my Ladies Choice is too big and heavy.

I appreciate any suggestions and/or feedback!

P.S. I have played around with my stance and prefer what I have going now, so I don't think that is the issue.

Thanks for your time
blooh is offline   Reply With Quote